We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seems impossible to get to ;-)

Which Mackinac Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saint Louis...
5 posts
Save Topic
Seems impossible to get to ;-)

Flying to Pellston is super-expensive (like the same price flying to Dubai)... flying to other airports take lots of time because of change-overs. It sounds crazy but it seems like a flight to Detroit and a days drive via car rental is the most cost and time efficient way to get there.

Did a bunch of St Louis to (wherever) scenerios via the various online flight booking sites... am I missing something? And if not... what is the Detroit to Mackinac drive like?

Thanks much

Dave

Marquette, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
2,321 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seems impossible to get to ;-)

DTW to Macinac is all freeway, though there are places where you will encounter some construction.

It's a little more than 300 miles...figure close to six hours dependingon the number of orange barrels.

Did you look at flying into Traverse City?

Saint Louis...
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Seems impossible to get to ;-)

Kind of replying to my own message here... seems that because of change-overs and such, it will take a total of ~6+ hours of total travel time regardless of where we fly into. Airports closer to Mackinac would have shorter driving times but the flying times (because of change-overs) are longer. The Detroit airport is the shortest (and direct non-stop) but the driving time is very long.

So it's kind of a "sitting time" decision... sitting in the airport or sitting in the rental car? Half of the fun is getting there so I think we'll opt for the sitting while moving (in the rental car).

Pretty interesting trip overall it appears...

:-)

Marquette, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
2,321 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seems impossible to get to ;-)

You may want to pose the question in a separate posting on the Detroit forum as to the best way to get from Romulus (DTW) to I-75. Somone would likely be able to navigate you around any major construction.

I think the the optimal way would be I-94 to US 23 North, which joins I-75 but I don't know if there are any construction hang ups.

If you are into shopping there are two outlet malls along the way...a large one in Birch Run north of Flint and another smaller one in West Branch.

Lots of miles between cities the further north you get.

Enjoy your visit to Mackinac...

Manistique, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Manistique, Curtis
Level Contributor
1,657 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Seems impossible to get to ;-)

Did you look into Chippewa County International Airport in Kinross. It is just north of St. Ignace.

Airport code is - CIU

http://www.kinross.net/airport.htm

Eau Claire...
Destination Expert
for Copper Harbor
Level Contributor
2,535 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seems impossible to get to ;-)

Or check Marquette, MI. It's in the U.P. about 3 hours from the Mackinac Island.

Saint Louis...
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Seems impossible to get to ;-)

Traverse City is "new" to me. Thank you for the suggestion. Tried that out and it works great for our arrival... not so great for departure... we'd have to leave Mackinac at 4am to be at the airport in time for our departing flight because our choices would be limited (without sending the cost of the ticket through the roof).

Still... another option, maybe for flying in and flying out of someplace else (if the cost isn't too much to do that).

Thanks!

Dave

Marquette, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
2,321 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seems impossible to get to ;-)

Lungfruit's suggestion to Marquette would be worth checking out...

MQT is serviced by NWA and AA.

Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,133 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seems impossible to get to ;-)

Traverse City's a great little airport and often has much better rates than Pellston...we usually fly from TC.

The problem with TC or Marquette or other regional airports is that you'll still have to rent a car and the rates for that are usually sky high. Be sure you check car rental rates before booking your flight. You could probably get a shuttle from TC to Mackinaw, but not at 4 am...you'd have to spend the night before your flight somewhere in TC.

You might check into Flint Bishop, it's not much closer than Detroit but would save you close to an hour of the most hectic drive time of your trip.

If you do wind up going with Detroit, it's not that bad a trip. We got a great rate from there a few weeks ago and the drive time from Petoskey was under five hours.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,647 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Seems impossible to get to ;-)

You will have a hard time finding a cheap option. Northern MI has limited service and is dominated by Northwest so there is limited competition.

You could also try Midland/Bay City/Saginaw (MBS) or Flint (FNT) which will cut 1-2 hours off the drive from DTW, and are often priced cheaper. STL-DTW is a cheap flight thanks to competition on the direct route between NW and SW.

Marquette, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
2,321 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seems impossible to get to ;-)

FNT is also a good option...it is a nice, very easy to negotiate airport that would get you north of the traffic congestion around the great Detroit area.

<<You will have a hard time finding a cheap option. Northern MI has limited service and is dominated by Northwest so there is limited competition.>>

While the above can be somewhat correct current pricingin and out ofMQt has come down substantially...NWA is domninant in the market but AA flies here and I just looked at a fare from Mqt to NYC for under $300, which is relatively inexpensive from a more isolated airport...depend on how you hit it...

One other option a little out of the box would be to fly to Green Bay, WI and drive from there...drive time to Mackinac from GRB would be the same as from DTW