We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Steak and Best Whitefish & Chips on the Island?

Level Contributor
146 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Best Steak and Best Whitefish & Chips on the Island?

We are celebrating a birthday while on the Island and we want Whitefish & Chips for lunch, (fish must be battered and deep fried, none of that low fat grilled and planked stuff! LOL) and a really good Steak dinner, hold the frou frou sauces and such..just a big ol grilled to perfection cut of juicy Beef! I am just worn out from reading restaurant reviews and looking at online menu's all day. Any help or recent dining experiences, positive or negative would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
281 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Steak and Best Whitefish & Chips on the Island?

I can recommend the Pink Pony Dining Room at the Chippewa Hotel for a steak. We had extended family there last fall and everyone was pleased with the quality of the food and my steak was very good.

We also like the Yankee Rebel when a good meal is in order.

While I haven't ordered it, I hear the Village Inn has very good whitefish.

Just about all the restaurants on the island are family-oriented, so unless you end up at the Grand Hotel or the Epicurean at Mission Point, you will find a casual, family-friendly atmosphere.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,756 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Steak and Best Whitefish & Chips on the Island?

Village Inn is the one I was going to recomend for whitefish & chips. If you mis doing it on the Island, try Darrow's in Mackinaw City.

North Vernon, IN
Level Contributor
29 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Steak and Best Whitefish & Chips on the Island?

My favorite whitefish is Scalawags! YUM and the tartar sauce is the best I've ever tasted. They have a website I think!

North Vernon, IN
Level Contributor
29 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Steak and Best Whitefish & Chips on the Island?

Oops sorry- Scalawags is in Mackinaw City not on the island. You should still check it out while you're in the area!

Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,152 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Steak and Best Whitefish & Chips on the Island?

Scalawag's in Mack City is good, as is the Village Inn on the Island...at both restaurants, be sure to order it well done if you like it at all crispy. Same goes for the chips.

I've had very good steaks at The Epicurean at Mission Point and The Iroquois (and I like my steaks like you).

6. Re: Best Steak and Best Whitefish & Chips on the Island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 December 2009, 05:22
Get answers to your questions about Mackinac Island