We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lunch options at the Grand Hotel?

Englewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
lunch options at the Grand Hotel?

I am interested in lunch options at the Grand Hotel for non guest. I see on their website something about a buffett. Are non guest allowed to have lunch there, is it formal, do men need jackets for lunch? Basically, I am taking myself and a group of 4 seniors to the Island for a day visit, and I thought they might enjoy a meal there, probably lunch, but we will not be wearing formal attire, just casual. What options do we have? Thanks so much for your help and information.

Englewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lunch options at the Grand Hotel?

Well, now I see the buffett can cost $45 which includes the entry fee to the hotel. I don't think my group could eat that much food to get their money worth. Hum, what other less expensive, but interesting dining options are available?

Thanks

Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,140 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: lunch options at the Grand Hotel?

Actually, the non-guest rate is $40/ adult and $25 up to age 17. If that's still a little too steep, you might try the Jockey Club just across the street at the golf club (though it won't get you into the hotel). Along the same lines is the Gate House, just down the hill from the hotel.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
281 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: lunch options at the Grand Hotel?

It all depends on your budget, but here's a couple of suggestions. If you still want a nice lunch, the Iriquois Hotel has The Carriage House which has outdoor dining right on the water. We had both breakfast and dinner there last year and enjoyed it. (Note: They are not serving breakfast this year)

The Seabiscuit Cafe is a nice place as well, though it offers no view, but is right on Main Street.

If you just want a good meal, go to the Village Inn. It's nothing fancy, just good food. In fact, it's one of the few restaurants that stay open year round on the island.

You'll save money with any of these options when compared to the cost of the Grand's buffet, but of course they're not the Grand!

Lastly, if you just want to tour the Grand, it will cost you $15 a person. You need to factor that into your budget as well.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: lunch options at the Grand Hotel?

Admission to the Grand Hotel for non-guests is $10. It includes a voucher for $10 to spend at the hotel, which can be applied to the buffet. The price of the buffet has dropped this year. It is $40 for non-guests, and that includes tax and tip.

The buffet is spectacular, the kind of thing you would see featured on the travel channel. The dining room is long and elegant. The servers are from the Islands (St. Johns and others) and dressed in livery. Many are second or third generation working summers at the Grand. The tables have table cloths and about 9 pieces of silverware at each setting. Tables by the windows have a beautiful view of the Straits of Mackinac, but they are all two people tables and your group will not sit there.

The buffet uses a series of tables, over 70 foot long, with dishes on each side and ice sculptures. It includes fruits, cheeses, Hors d'oeuvres, salads, pastas, cold meats, casseroles, breads, oysters & mussels in the shell, smoked salmon, roasts, and about 20 desserts.

Relaxed clothing is fine before 6PM.

5. Re: lunch options at the Grand Hotel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 December 2009, 06:20
Get answers to your questions about Mackinac Island