We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lost Sunken Barge Found on Lake Floor

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,790 posts
260 reviews
Save Topic
Lost Sunken Barge Found on Lake Floor

Article in the St. Ignace News. Includes photos

Covered in zebra mussels, a wooden barge with a clam bucket scoop that sank between Mackinac Island and St. Ignace in a storm more than 50 years ago was found again last week by scientists aboard Pride of Michigan.

stignacenews.com/news/2009-08-13/Front_Page/…

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
6,122 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lost Sunken Barge Found on Lake Floor

Very interesting article, and then the discussion of the Straits being an ancient river. Wow! I’ve always been amazed of the drop offs in northern Michigan but I never realized that at one time the lakes were a couple hundred feet shallower. When you leave Charlevoix’s harbor and head into the lake my depth meter goes from something like 50 feet to nearly 300 feet almost immediately. Wouldn’t it be wild to be able to see what the area looked like if the lakes were shallower?

Thanks for this Lighthouse.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,790 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lost Sunken Barge Found on Lake Floor

You are welcome, Rono.

Another recent article is about an ancient forest found under the water about 60 miles away stignacenews.com/news/2009-07-23/Front_Page/…

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lost Sunken Barge Found on Lake Floor

Thanks for the wonderful info and links, Light. Very interesting reads. :)

Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,153 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lost Sunken Barge Found on Lake Floor

Great thread Lighthouse!!

I love this kind of thing, I grew up snorkeling and diving on Mullett Lake and I always dreamed of somehow "draining" the lake for one day to see everything on the bottom...

It's amazing what you can learn just under the surface...

really cool stuff!!

5. Re: Lost Sunken Barge Found on Lake Floor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2010, 04:19
Get answers to your questions about Mackinac Island