We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Podo's UP trip part 4!

California
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Podo's UP trip part 4!

Our original itenerary made a lot more sense than what we did here... that is drive straight from the Keweenaw to Mackinaw Ctiy in one evening, instead of meandering our way over via Musining, Seney, etc. But due to a change of all sorts of things including some weather concerns (discovered I'll never look at a forcast again unless it's the day before LOL!!) and my son's dad's unexpected business trip that would have left son stranded, which meant he ended up coming with us for most of the trip instead of just a long weekend. Oh well... we had to do some rearranging, but dog gonnit! I wasn't going to give up our reservation (and our deposit) for our honeymoon suite at the Main Street Inn on Mackinac Island, even if it meant driving all the way from the Keweenaw to Mackinaw City in one night!!

We started off in Calumet after spending way too much time hanging out with the locals there, but thought we'd have plenty of time to get to our desination at a reasonable hour.

Oh yeah... we still had to stop at Da Yoopers Tourist Trap in Ishpeming! And oh yeah, we also heard we had to try a Lawry's pasty! (The 4th of the day!!)

Da Tourist Trap was hilarious!!! We couldn't get out of there! (You Yooper guys are really funny!) I picked up a few absurd novelties and had to tear myslef away. It must be fun to work where you hear people chuckling a lot! We figured we could try the Lawry's in Marquette since it was on our way, and the nice lady at da Trap (did I mention how NICE everyone was???) even called them to make sure they'd still be open when we got there! Yes!! So we headed over and parked up, and the very sweet guy in the shop delivered the bad news that someone had just stopped by and cleaned them out of every pasty in the shop and they were OUT!

Rats! Okay, so it's not every day we get out your way, so we (I know... we're a little nuts!) backtracked to the Lawry's in Ishpeming to get our pasty!! They were soooooo good, we even got seconds!

After that, is was time for some serious driving! Thank goodness we had that Outback while driving in the dark! It was great! I felt really safe (from deer!) and the ride and stereo were terrific! We drove the straight road on the M28... what a trip! Especially playing musical headlights with the other cars coming toward you! Our route took us down to Hwy 2 and while I was behind the wheel, I SAW A WOLF!!!! It was on the side of the road and my first thought was coyote, because we see them here in California. But this was no coyote! It was huge and had a beautiful fur coat!

I shouted WOLF! But unfortunately, my hubby and and son didn't see it since we went by too fast! Darn! That was sooo cool!!

We got to Mighty Mac right after midnight, and was greeted at the toll booth with a very friendly, "good morning"! by the attendant. :-)

Pretty impressive this bridge! I thought I'd be nervous going over, but it was not a problem at all. It was massive!

We arrived at the Lamplighter Motel in Mackinaw City quite late, but we had given them a heads up so they left the rooms open for us with the light on and key inside. Cozy, comfy little place just right for getting a good nights sleep for our ferry ride to the Island the next day.

It was raining in the morning, but we learned how that could change, so we layered up, packed a small overnight and left the rest in the car at the ferry dock.

The ride over was cold, a bit wet and very invigorating!

Our time on the Island was great! Hubby and I checked into our Honeymoon Suite, double whirlpool tub and all, and we had a room booked at the Pontiac Lodge for my son. Sweet! :-)

We had lunch at the Seabiscuit Cafe (fantastic!) and then rented bikes for a trip around the island!

This was so much fun and soooo beautiful! What a great afternoon! We stopped to take some pictures and just enjoyed the beautiful scenery! It actually warmed up quite a bit! I was really surprised! Started reminding me of California... even got a bit grumbly about it! He he... ;-)

After turning in the bikes, we headed up to the Grand Hotel, and paid our 10 bucks each to get in.

It was the prettiest, fanciest... nursing home I've ever seen! It was full of old folks! And their parents! (rim shot) I think I even saw John McCain!

Oh come on... I love ol' folks... really really!! I seriously hope to be one some day! It was, after all, autumn when the senior tours are out in force! Just an observation! (really a lot!) I'll take that over screaming kiddies anyday of the week! Ha ha! I

'm sure a dinner at the Grand Hotel would be quite an experience, but we didn't bring our jackets and high heels etc. Maybe next time. We did go up to the lookout lounge. Didn't realize it was enclosed in glass windows. An open balcony would have been awesome! But no. They did not have. Oh well. Very pretty building though... gogeous gardens!

Afterwards, we went back to see the sun setting near the Mackinac Bridge. Beautiful!!

Hubby and I absolutely enjoyed our beautiful room... just as soon as we were able to kick out our son! LOL!

Okay, so next time hubby and I will include a romantic dinner on the Island, but this time 'round, because we had company, (eh hem)... we brought back pizza and wings to the suite then played pool on the Main Street Inn pool table! :-) It was great fun though and I still managed to get 2 whirlpools in by the time we left! :-)

We did indulge in getting up late, and it was good to relax! But we did have another busy day ahead, so after a big fudge buying binge (Joann's is MY FAVE!!) and a few more pictures, we left for...

to be continued!

Thanks for listening!

Bay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,263 posts
1,282 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Podo's UP trip part 4!

So enjoying your TR-keep going!!!

California
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Podo's UP trip part 4!

I'm glad you're enjoying them! I do tend to ramble!

I wish I could have done them quicker, but since we've been back, we've been so busy catching up, and there were birthdays and all sorts of things besides getting back to work!

Ug... work! Ha ha! I'm ready for another vacation all ready! ;-)

3. Re: Podo's UP trip part 4!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2010, 05:22