We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Michigan vacation

Which Mackinac Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
indiana
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Michigan vacation

We are going to St Ignace and Mackinac City in September. Where are good places to stay in each town? We are going to the island for 3 days. Other than the usual tourist things to do in those areas are there other things that would be enjoyable that time of year.

How soon should we make our reservations?

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,505 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Michigan vacation

As long as it isn't Labor Day weekend, you can wait until closer to the trip to make reservations. If it is Labor Day weekend, you need to make a reservation today.

What is your budget? Special wants such as pool, lake shore, B&B, etc?

indiana
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Michigan vacation

Want to be close enough to downtown in each area to walk to main area of town.

Kansas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,505 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Michigan vacation

In my opinion, St. Ignace's downtown isn't very good for walking around. There are fewer shops & restaurants and they are strung out, scattered along a long winding street. On the other hand, the new boardwalk along the water is nice.

MC's shops are more condensed. The closest places to the downtown that I would consider are Lamplighter, Deer Head Inn B&B, and Courtyard Inn. But most of the motels are within walking distance of the downtown. I've stayed at both Deer Head & Courtyard within the past 2 years and had good experiences.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
281 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Michigan vacation

One of my new 'must-see' attractions in Mackinaw City is Historic Mill Creek Adventure Park. We visited for the first time in June and had a great visit. The interpreters do a great job of telling a fascinating history of the site and it's connection to Mackinac Island.

They've built an operating sawmill, that to the best of their research, closely resembles the one that stood on the site more than a century ago. Don't miss the demonstration there.

I'd also suggest spending the extra few dollars on the zipline tour. The zipline is fun, but the story of the flora and fauna as you make your way to the zipline was the most interesting part of the adventure. The tour guides are loaded with facts and trivia. They can also suggest hikes on some of the many trails in the 600-acre park, which is operated by Mackinac State Historic Parks.

Lastly, make your way to the top of the observation tower which gives one of the best views of the Straits (aside from Ft. Holmes on Mackinac Island).

Have a great trip!

Edited: 17 July 2010, 15:35
Kansas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,505 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Michigan vacation

More than "Two" centuries , AtlantaPhotog:-)

indiana
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Michigan vacation

Thanks everyone for all the information.

7. Re: Michigan vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2011, 05:16