We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Conference on the island, attending solo

East Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
16 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Conference on the island, attending solo

I'm considering attending a conference on the island in August, but travelling alone. Any suggestions on more reasonably priced accommodations than offered by conf at $200/night? I am willing to stay in St. Ignace or Mackinaw City as long as it's walking distance from ferry and I can get to Grand Hotel by 8am each day (what time do ferries start?).

Also some concern with safety and nearby dining. Interest in clean, good mattress. Don't need "charm", prefer convenience. Conf finishes at 12 each day, so could enjoy a pool or beachside, if possible in a reasonable hotel...

Marquette, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
2,439 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Conference on the island, attending solo

Staying off the island will make it difficult to get tot he GH by 8:00 am.

If you are looking for a lower price place to just sleep & shower (ie: no onsite restaurant or bar) . Try a place like Hart's Haven...A block off Main St. and close enough to the GH to walk to your 8:00 meetings.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,838 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Conference on the island, attending solo

Dearhead Inn B&B in Mackinaw City is a block away from Shepler's Ferry. They will get you to the Island before 8AM. In August their least expensive room is $100 including a very nice breakfast.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
406 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Conference on the island, attending solo

I ALWAYS recommend staying on the Island, if possible. For $200 per night, you could easily find a place on the island to accommodate what you are looking for.

Most of the bed and breakfasts can offer rooms for about that amount. I'd recommend the Cloghaun, Market Street Inn, or Cottage Inn. Some of the smaller rooms at places like Main Street Inn and Suites would work great. Some less expensive and less fancy options would include Pontiac Lodge or Murray Hotel. The Murray even has a spa pool. You might look into that.

You mentioned the beach. Keep in mind that the beach on the island is rocky, not sand. But there is so much to do and explore, that you might not miss it!

Some links:

Main Street Inn and Suites, and other bed and breakfasts links can be found here:

mackinac.com/content/… and Breakfast

Murray Hotel:

http://www.4mackinac.com/

Enjoy!

Edited: 07 March 2011, 14:13
Livonia, MI
Level Contributor
689 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Conference on the island, attending solo

According to the Ferry websites the earliest ferry leaves at 7:30. That is not enough time to get to the Grand Hotel by 8:00am

East Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
16 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Conference on the island, attending solo

Thanks so much for your guidance and suggestions!

I have booked a room at the Cottage Inn and am looking forward to my stay!

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,838 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Conference on the island, attending solo

The 7:30 Shepler's ferry would get me to the Grand Hotel at 8AM.

7. Re: Conference on the island, attending solo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2012, 03:17