We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summer trip with kids

Which Mackinac Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Salvador
Level Contributor
1 post
32 reviews
Save Topic
Summer trip with kids

I have always wanted to take my family, 2 boys (9 and 5) to Mackinac Island. What is a great place to stay and for how many days??

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Summer trip with kids

2 days ought to cover you with one night. I like the Main Street Inn and Suites myself, but there are several hotels on the island. Look at the left hand side of this page and you will see many listed. Click on them and learn more about them and what suits your style and price range.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
395 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Summer trip with kids

We've made many trips with our kids and find that we need at least 3 days/2 nights to do and see everything we want at a nice, slow, Island-time pace. This year we are staying 5 full days and can't wait!

I agree that Main Street Inn is a great place for families. Lilac Tree also has great 2 room suites. Check out the hotels and inns here on Tripadvisor and feel free to ask any questions!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
281 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Summer trip with kids

I agree that one or two nights is a good introduction to the island. You'll leave wanting to return.

My favorites are the Chippewa and Lilac Tree. The Lake View Hotel offers an indoor pool, though hopefully you'll be spending your time outdoors. Take the carriage tour, visit the fort and park-operated downtown historic buildings, ride bikes around the island (have lunch at the Cannonball at British Landing), relax in Marquette Park and play glow golf at Mission Point. Lots of things to do including many family/kid friendly activities (butterfly house, mirror maze, haunted theatre, fudge-making, kite flying) for those couple of days. The island takes on a different character after all the day-trippers leave, so be sure to enjoy the evenings and mornings.

Read the reviews for the hotels/inns on the island. Any downtown location will be very convenient for you. Have a great trip!

4. Re: Summer trip with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 02:18