We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Star Line Railroad Dock

Which Mackinac Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
51 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Star Line Railroad Dock

I am traveling to the Island at the end of July from St. Ignace. Starline lists two docks they leave out of, their Main dock and the Railroad dock. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the two? I see the departure schedules are a little different but are the boats the same? Parking the same? Thanks.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
281 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Star Line Railroad Dock

Fewer boats depart from the Railroad Dock in St. Ignace than the Main Dock. Other than that, I really don't see any difference. In my opinion, the only reason they have the Railroad Dock is that it's the first ferry dock you reach coming from I-75 on State Street. If you don't have a preference in ferry line, might as well use the first one you reach, so Star Line gets the business. Also remember that Star Line and Arnold are now owned by the same company so tickets are interchangeable between the two.

Save Reply
2. Re: Star Line Railroad Dock

Took the Star line ferry out of St Ignace last weekend. The two docks are only about a 5 minute drive apart. You'll notice that many of the departure times are listed as ten minutes apart between them. That is because when you leave from The Main dock, you then proceed to pick up passenger at the railroad dock. Also, on the way back from the island, they drop the railroad passengers off first, then proceed to the main dock. On the trip we were on, a family separated with some sitting inside and others on the top of the ship. The father on the top of the ship got off early at the railroad dock instead of waiting for the main dock. The rest of his family had to wait for him while the folks at Star shuttled him back to the main dock. Lots of laughs inside the ship on that one!

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
51 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Star Line Railroad Dock

Thanks for the replies. We are going to bike from the nearby state park to the ferry so it makes sense to go to the railroad dock. I now have my answer! Thank you both!

4. Re: Star Line Railroad Dock

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 09:17