We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Somewhere in Time

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,238 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Somewhere in Time

Thanks to all for the help in our trip planning around lake Michigan. We have just about sorted everything out apart from one night at St Ignace or Mackinaw City.

We will be coming up from Traverse City on October 5th and then planned to visit the island the next day before heading on to Au Train where we have found a very nice looking B&B overlooking the lake.

In St Ignace The Colonial Inn looked like it might suit but the owner informed us that the B&B is full because of a group of ladies who return every year for a Somewhere in Time reunion book the whole property. They dress up in period costume and take the ferry the next day (Oct 6), the morning we had planned to visit the island.

Now the inn also has a motel which will be fine for one night BUT I wonder if the island itself will be overrun with Jane Seymour lookalikes (!) and the ferries all booked up?

Should we perhaps consider rushing up from Traverse City in order to visit the island the afternoon before and would that mean us missing the Tunnel of Trees, something a lot of people have recommended to us?

Thanks in advance.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,898 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Somewhere in Time

That is a quite time of the year. That is why the Somewhere in TIme event is held, to get more traffic. Compared to summer, it will not be busy and you do not have to worry about full ferries.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
281 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Somewhere in Time

I've been on the island during Somewhere in Time weekend and you can hardly notice, except for the attire. Most events are held at Grand Hotel with the exception of a walking tour and one or two other small events. We had dinner at the Grand the night everyone was dressed in period costumes and found it quite fun! You almost felt like you were in 1912!

The event draws a few hundred people, enough to probably fill two ferry boats, so it's certainly not worth avoiding that weekend. I'd encourage it, when else could you get people walking down an almost empty Main Street in clothing from a century ago?

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,238 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Somewhere in Time

Thanks for the assurance. I guess a 1980 romantic movie that turns up only occasionally on TV isn't really a massive deal and it does sound like it might be fun.

Grand Haven...
Destination Expert
for Grand Haven, Michigan
Level Contributor
989 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Somewhere in Time

Early October should be a beautiful time to visit. Enjoy the colors and the lack of crowds. You'll love the island.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
61,402 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Somewhere in Time

Sorry I'll miss you up there. October is a beautiful time to be anywhere in northern Michigan, including the island. And you should be fine regarding crowds. July is the worst for that.

6. Re: Somewhere in Time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 21:17
Get answers to your questions about Mackinac Island