We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late August or Early September?

Wabash
Level Contributor
241 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Late August or Early September?

I know it's last minute, but we're hoping to make a trip up for two week nights at either the end of August or beginning of September. Would the week before Labor Day weekend still be very busy? I'm thinking the week following Labor Day might be the better choice? Of course, room availability will dictate when and if we can make the trip.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Late August or Early September?

Other than Labor Day weekend, the week before Labor Day is not that busy.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
403 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Late August or Early September?

I agree with Light that the week before Labor Day is not that busy, but it would probably be less busy after Labor Day, since all the kids will most certainly be in school by then. Week before might have people making a few last trips of the summer.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
46 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Late August or Early September?

A lot of hotels/B&B's are having specials for the week before Labor Day. The Grand Hotel has a special of $95/person including breakfast and dinner daily from August 28-Sept 1. It is an e-special. Call 1-855-885-4107. Inn on Mackinac is also having great specials during that week; and I guess other places will as well. The week before Labor Day is usually slow. I am going to be on the Island August28-Sept 3, for this reason. Any questions, feel free to contact me.

Have a great time!

North Muskegon...
Level Contributor
840 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Late August or Early September?

After Labor Day rates should drop along with the crowds. : )

My favorite time to camp.

Wabash
Level Contributor
241 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Late August or Early September?

Thanks so much for your comments. I did wind up making a reservation for Aug 28 for two nights at the Lake View Hotel at a special Internet rate.. I inquired on Main Street Inn's website regarding reservations, but I guess being rated #1 on the Travel Advisor list, they can just ignore their Internet reservation inquiries if they are already booked.

My husband and I are looking forward to our first trip to Mackinac. We will probably get on to the island around 3:00 to 4:00 PM. I'm thinking that we should take the carriage ride in the morning, rather than upon arrival.

Should I be making dinner reservations? Haven't seen any comments on Goodfellows. We enjoy Italian food and thought we'd try it since we'll be staying right there. I've got a list from other posts to check on for our second night.

I also see that the Lakeview and Shepler's have packages available that include the ferry, carriage, and admission to the fort. I've read from other posts recommending a private carriage tour, and I'm trying to decide the best way to go.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,204 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Late August or Early September?

Steelerfan, I missed the posts about private carriage tours, thanks for mentioning that. I've got a brochure from when family visited previously and it showed a large carriage with about 15 people on it. I hadn't really given it much thought before. I'll be there the month after you, so if you have more info, please post it. (Just when I thought I was ready to stop researching this trip).

Wabash
Level Contributor
241 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Late August or Early September?

I found the price for a private tour for 4 people or less is $100 per hour; 5 people $125, and it goes up with add'l people. The price for the group tour is $23.50 per person. Since it will just be my husband and me, I think we'll opt for the gorup tour.

I agree with you--I always seem to find new information every time I read through the posts.

I will post any helpful info that I learn while on our trip.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,204 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Late August or Early September?

Holy cow! I guess in my mind I pictured one of those romantic-two-of-us rides, but not for that cost. We're trying to decide if we do the package with the ferry and carriage ride. You do save some, and I'm pretty sure we'll take the carriage, but I'm going to wait until right before we need it to decide.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Late August or Early September?

For $64 you could rent a carriage for an hour. That might be romantic.

Wabash
Level Contributor
241 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Late August or Early September?

Where do we find the $64 rate?

Get answers to your questions about Mackinac Island