We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay - 3 adults, 2 children (ages 2 and 3.5)

Which Mackinac Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, TX
Level Contributor
25 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay - 3 adults, 2 children (ages 2 and 3.5)

Hi everyone. We are going to be at Mackinac for two nights at the end of June. It will be my family (husband, myself, two kids ages 2 and 3.5) plus my mother. Where would you recommend we stay? I've read the reviews but not many seem to address the needs of those with very small children. My youngest will be in a pack n play so we are okay with just 2 queen beds. I like the idea of those with a separate room so the kids can go to bed early while we enjoy relaxing with reading a book or watching tv.

Thanks everyone!

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
1,974 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay - 3 adults, 2 children (ages 2 and 3.5)

Question for you, first. Have you looked at accommodations on Mcakinac Island, yet? There are a lot of places and the prices cover a very broad range, and can get rather pricey. So, it might be helpful to know what kind of a price range you are interested in. Also, do you plan to get around on foot, or will you bring or rent bicycles? There are several bike rental places that also rent kid carts that drag behind a bicycle. Do you want to be right in town, or a short walk away from the fray?

You might want out check out the Mackinac Island Chamber of Commerce website at http://www.mackinacisland.org/ and this website as well http://www.mackinac.com/

Both have links to accommodations. You can to each place's website, explore the rooms, see the prices, etc.

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
25 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay - 3 adults, 2 children (ages 2 and 3.5)

Thanks for responding. We would like to stay on the Island. We do plan to rent bikes one day. As far as right in town or short distance, either is fine. Price wise, I know it's more expensive to stay on the island, but I'm okay with spending $250/night on a room. I looked at the Grand Hotel but it seems like only option there is an all-inclusive with meals which is not something I'm interested in; plus, it didn't seem super kid friendly. I just am wondering where those with small kids stayed and any other tips.

Thanks for the info!

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
393 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay - 3 adults, 2 children (ages 2 and 3.5)

With kids as young as yours I would recommend staying closer to town. You have many options to chose from. You mentioned suites, so the first I would suggest would either be Lilac Tree Hotel and Suites (an all suite hotel) or Main Street Inn and Suites. Both are very kid friendly. Neither has a restaurant onsite, but you are just steps from many great choices. Another suggestion would be Park Place Suites. These are condo units with full kitchens, which can come in VERY handy with young kids. They are just a block off the main street and very convenient to everything.

The prices may be a bit higher than $250 per night, depending on the room you choose, but if you can stay during the week rather than over a weekend the prices will be closer to what you need.

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
25 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay - 3 adults, 2 children (ages 2 and 3.5)

Thanks kdets89! I will look at the three of those. We are staying a Thursday and Friday night so hopefully that will help some. If anyone else has any tips for doing Mackinac with a 3.5 and 2 year old, I'm all ears!

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
393 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay - 3 adults, 2 children (ages 2 and 3.5)

Some ideas for the kids: they can run and jump and play and discover and skip rocks and eat fudge and look at boats and horses and see butterflies and pass out at the end of evening for a wonderful full night of sleep! (Can you tell my kids love the place?)

Take the kids for a ride around the perimeter of the Island, stop at British Landing and skip rocks, stop at the school and let them play on the playground, and you'll have some good naptime later!

Most importantly, though, let them set the pace! Mackinac is all about slowing down, relaxing, and enjoying the beauty of the Island and your family!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
44 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay - 3 adults, 2 children (ages 2 and 3.5)

You might want to try Mission Point Resort. They are about a 10 min walk out of town, but they are family friendly, have an outdoor pool and a mini golf course for kids. They have shuttles to the resort. The Chippewa Hotel also has suites for families and some have a balcony overlooking harbor. It also has a small pool and is located right downtown. Also, if it is real hot during your visit and you are not staying at a hotel with pool, the Grand hotel will let you use the their pool for $10/person. But you must enter through their gardens and not through the hotel. Otherwise, they will charge you $10 to enter the hotel and $10 for use of pool, per person.

Have a great time! You are going to love the Island.

Berkley, Michigan
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay - 3 adults, 2 children (ages 2 and 3.5)

Check out the Inn at Stonecliffe. It is at the top of the island with beautiful views. It is a ways walk from the island's town, but its a short bike ride. Also it can be kind of nice taking a horse drawn carriage taxi back at night.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
281 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay - 3 adults, 2 children (ages 2 and 3.5)

I'm partial to Lilac Tree Suites and Spa and the Chippewa as both have the same ownership. We often stay at the Lilac Tree for the very reason you mention, having a separate sleeping area from the living area (divided by the bathroom with a pocket door).

The rooms that overlook Main Street all have balconies and my wife and I often sit outside enjoying the view and activity below while our daughter sleeps.

As a guest of the Lilac Tree, you can take advantage of the huge hot tub at the Chippewa and sometimes they offer packages that include meals at the Chippewa's Pink Pony restaurants (with great outdoor waterfront seating).

Most conveniently, the Lilac Tree is right downtown so you never have far to travel.

While Stonecliffe and Mission Point are also good options, their out-of-town locations need to be factored with young children if being around downtown is important.

Edited: 25 March 2012, 15:21
Bloomfield Hills...
Level Contributor
128 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay - 3 adults, 2 children (ages 2 and 3.5)

Short answer: Stay IN town!!

Long answer:

I have twin 3 year olds and went last Fall when they were 2. Do yourself a favor, stay in town or check on that shuttle from Mission Point. I do not know if they offer it for just comging and going to the ferry. Regardless, I certainly did not want to stand for more than a couple of minutes with kids waiting on a shuttle. Then there is that, "daddy, I want to go now." All things considered, I wanted to be right in the thick ofactivity (shops, restaurants, the fort) with ability to return to the room at the snap of my fingers and not dependent on a taxi or anything. We took the horse drawn taxi's and tours for all the other attractions and destinations on the island, like the fort at the very top of the island.

Michigan
Level Contributor
9 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay - 3 adults, 2 children (ages 2 and 3.5)

Early June will be our fourth year in a row staying at the Lake View hotel on the island. Our son is a lot older but an indoor pool has always been a great thing, especially if the weather isn't that great. It's right in town, across from the Star Line ferry & easy to walk. The Lake View is very family friendly & we have nothing but great things to say. Right around the bend is the Library, my son & I love to go sit & read books.