We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Hotel Category I Rooms?

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,993 posts
Save Topic
Grand Hotel Category I Rooms?

We'd like to spend three nights at The Grand Hotel this August, but for our dates only Category I rooms are available. These are described as being "smaller" with an "interior view".

Has anyone stayed in this type of room? If so, did you find it very cramped? What exactly does "interior view" mean?

I did look at the photos on the hotel's website, but there are only two images of this type of room (they don't look too-too small, but it's impossible to get an idea of the view from these photos).

Thanks!

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
404 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Hotel Category I Rooms?

We stayed in such a room for one night on our honeymoon. The room had 2 queens and wasn't super small, but the view definitely left something to be desired. It was on the backside of the hotel with a view of the kitchen venting. Do you have your heart set on the Grand? There are many other great options on the island.

Gaylord, Michigan
Level Contributor
983 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Hotel Category I Rooms?

We have stayed in both interior and exterior rooms and liked them both. We had plenty of room and the lack of a view didn't bother us as there are many areas at the hotel with a view, such as the porch or up at The Cupola. We really were not in the room too often. I love staying at The Grand and would stay again in an interior room. The experience is something special.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,993 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Hotel Category I Rooms?

Thanks for the responses. This will be our first visit to Mackinac Island, and we definitely have our hearts set on The Grand Hotel.

I suppose we could handle not having a view as long as the room itself isn't too small. Perhaps a cancellation will pop-up before our stay and we can upgrade. The named rooms look amazing!

Gaylord, Michigan
Level Contributor
983 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Hotel Category I Rooms?

I think you will enjoy your experience. Just take it all in, explore the whole hotel. Sit on the porch, sit in the lobby during high tea or after dinner for Demitasse and people watch. Visit the Terrace Room in the evening for the Grand Hotel orchestra. Walk the grounds and gardens. Enjoy your meals there as they are wonderful. Head up to The Cupola after dinner for a beautiful sunset. Walk all the halls. Read all the pictures on the walls downstairs. Quite the history. Visit The Terrace Room after dinner for the Grand Hotel Orchestra.

Honestly, I've talked to people that have stayed in some of the "named" rooms and they said it wasn't worth the extra money. The larger, lake-view rooms were nicer for less.

But I think you would enjoy your stay no matter what room you have. Yes, it would be even nicer if you could have a lake-view room, but you could also call ahead or ask at check-in if any upgrades are available.

Some are critical of things here and there, but not us. We enjoy everything for what it is...a unique and amazing experience. One of our favorite places in the whole world.

5. Re: Grand Hotel Category I Rooms?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 15:17
Get answers to your questions about Mackinac Island