We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Hotel Tipping Policy

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,993 posts
Save Topic
Grand Hotel Tipping Policy

We have reservations at the Grand Hotel in two weeks. The hotel's website declares it's a "no-tipping" or "tips included" resort. We have stayed at all-inclusive resorts in Mexico and the Caribbean that have also professed to be "tipping included", but we still ended up tipping since it just didn't feel right not to do so if the service was good.

So I'm wondering just how enforced this policy is at the Grand. Do staff truly not expect to be tipped? Or is this valid 'on paper' only and guests actually do tip?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
48 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Hotel Tipping Policy

I stay at the Grand several times a year and always tip every one who provides a service for me. I know that they have a "no-tipping" policy, however, I don't feel right about it. Also, no one has ever refused a tip from me at the Grand.

Gaylord, Michigan
Level Contributor
983 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Hotel Tipping Policy

That's interesting. Everyone I know doesn't tip and they have been refused.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
48 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Hotel Tipping Policy

I just returned from a 3-day stay at the Grand and saw others tipping the staff as well. In the Cupola Bar, I saw several couples tip the server for drinks. Also at the pool, the family next to me, tipped the server $10 for bringing them drinks and food through out the day. I saw others tip the pool grill server as well. No one refused or was offended by the tips. The Grand does have a "no-tipping" policy, but personally, if I receive good service, I tip. I know the staff doesn't expect to be tipped, but they appreciate it. I have been coming to the Grand for over a decade and no one has ever refused my tip. However, I think everyone needs to do what feels right for them.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,993 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Hotel Tipping Policy

Hmm... okay, I guess we'll just attempt to tip as we normally would and see what happens. I'll report back upon our return in two weeks. Thanks for the input.

Gaylord, Michigan
Level Contributor
983 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Hotel Tipping Policy

Lots of people to tip. They do add a fee to your food and lodging to cover the tipping. As long as a manager isn't watching you should be ok. We learned the hard way a while back, trying to tip a wine steward. Regardless of what everyone else does, just do what comes natural for you. Let us know as we'll be heading back in the fall. Have a wonderful time.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Hotel Tipping Policy

Take it from a GH "lifer". Tipping in the main hotel building is never expected. That is why you pay the extra fee service fee. Do not be a fool. Only tip at the pool grill, Jockey Club, or Woods. The staff is the best paid on the Island.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,993 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Hotel Tipping Policy

Well, I promised to report back after our visit... I'm a little embarrassed to say that we only ended up tipping the carriage driver and the waiter at the Jockey Club. We did not see anyone tip the drink servers on the porch or the waiters at breakfast and dinner, so we didn't either. It felt very odd.

That being said, we had an excellent, memorable stay! We were completely captivated by the island and charmed by the hotel. We're already trying to plan a return visit!

Gaylord, Michigan
Level Contributor
983 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand Hotel Tipping Policy

Thanks for the report. Like I mentioned previously, we learned the hard way that you shouldn't tip. The only reason we tipped at The Cupola was that the waitress took our change before we could :)

9. Re: Grand Hotel Tipping Policy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2013, 06:15