We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family friendly accommodations last minute?

Which Mackinac Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cincinnati OH
Level Contributor
22 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Family friendly accommodations last minute?

Hi all. I would like to travel to this area with my husband and 3 children (Age 12, 9,6) next month and am looking for recommendations of family friendly places to stay. We'd prefer something with either the "suite" amenities of a kitchen, shared living space versus a hotel and would probably want to stay approximately a week. Typically we like to book a home or condo through VRBO but are seeing limited choices for this area so hoping someone might be able to give us some suggestions. Also, is a week in this area with 3 children this age adequate time? We like to hike, bike ride, explore and are just trying to avoid a "beach" vacation this year. Thanks in advance for any tips.

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
1,972 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family friendly accommodations last minute?

You've posted in the Mackinac Island Forum, so I am wondering if you are talking about spending a week on the island? I think that could be a bit long. Mackinac is a small island, about a 9 mile bike ride around the island. It is a great place to be with kids yours ages. There are no cars, so they are very safe riding their bikes. The older two may want to go off on their own, and this is a great place for them to try this bit of freedom and self reliance. If you are confident, they may even be able to take the 6 year old with them.

There is a lot to do on the island, but I think that you may find yourselves getting antsy after about 3 or 4 days, unless you just settle into the slow, relaxing pace of the island and are happy with a lot of repeat activities. Swimming beaches are not great, but there are a couple of places that you can swim. The one I like best, especially with kids, is this pebbly stretch of beach just after Arch Rock. I think it is actually called Pebble Beach. Bring water shoes, as the stones, rounded though they are, can be hard on the feet.

Bring your bicycles. And locks. On Mackinac Island, bicycles are king, along with horses. Rentals can get pricey, especially if you are staying several days.

Keep in mind that prices for just about everything are high, since everything has to be brought over by boat and moved around the island on horse drawn carts. This includes lodging. Hotels, inns and B&Bs predominate. Some of the hotels are part of full service resorts. Most of the lodging offer suites and/or adjoining rooms, and some may offer or include microwaves and small refrigerators. I am not sure that there are many units with kitchens, as you are describing. Others may have better info on this than me.

Check these two sites for lodging and a whole lot of other information about Mackinac Island:

http://www.mackinac.com/ (Great site about the island)

www.mackinacisland.org (Chamber of Commerce)

It sounds like you are considering spending a week or more in the area. When you say you are trying to avoid a "beach vacation", do you mean ocean? There is so much Great Lakes Beach in MI, it is almost impossible to avoid the beach. For something a little different, you might consider exploring the Upper Peninsula, or U.P. for as week, along with your stay on Mackinac Island. Widen your view to the Michigan Forum and you will see some recent posts on this area, as well as some great info in past posts. The U.P. is more wild, less beachy, and very beautiful.

Little Rock
Level Contributor
2,356 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family friendly accommodations last minute?

If you want to be in Mac. Isle. "area" (not necessarily on the Isle.) try looking on VRBO for properties in Harbor Springs / Petoskey / Bay Harbor areas (Lake Michigan). Or for nice inland lakes, try looking on Douglas Lake, Burt lake, Mullet Lake, Walloon lake, Black Lake, Lake Charlevoix ...

grahamrentalproperties.com/category/vacation/

holidayvacationrental.com/lakefront-rentals/

greatrentals.com/harbor-springs/…find.squery

3. Re: Family friendly accommodations last minute?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2013, 10:15