We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Bike Rental what will it cost me?

Level Contributor
80 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Best Bike Rental what will it cost me?

I just dont have the space to bring our bikes.

Can anyone recommend most economical location for child and adult bike rentals for the island?? How much can I expect to pay for them?

chicago
Level Contributor
8,601 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Bike Rental what will it cost me?

The rates are all about the same, pay by the hour or the day

Rochester Hills...
Level Contributor
563 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Bike Rental what will it cost me?

All the bike rental companies appear to have their information online from the types of bikes that they offer to the hourly and daily rates. Some require deposits and some do not. Below are a couple websites that I found that should give you an idea of the pricing

http://bikemackinac.com/rates.html

www.mackinacbikes.com/rentalprices.html

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,112 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Bike Rental what will it cost me?

There is a third bike rental shop

http://www.rybabikes.com/

I usually have brought our own bikes, so have only rented once. All the shops have been very helpful as far as questions, minor repairs, purchasing accessories. The shops rent mostly the same equipment, but there may be some differences in brands, and some styles. Everything is so close together on Mackinac Island that it is easy to do a walk by, look at the gear, talk to the people, and choose the one you like best, or the first one you see. Either way you will have a fine experience.

That said, if you can figure out a way to bring your own bikes, I would highly recommend it. The ferry will charge a minimal fee for bringing it over, I think about $7 or $9 per bike RT. That will cover about an hour of rental time. Then you are free to go where you want, when you want, rather than cramming all your bike riding into a single chunk of rental time. If you do bring your own bikes, bring bike locks, too.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,812 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Bike Rental what will it cost me?

If you are staying overnight on the Island, check if your hotel offers bicycles.

Ohio, United States
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Bike Rental what will it cost me?

On Aug. 3, 2012 I rode the ferry to the Island from Mackinaw City on Arnold Line with my own bike, and was charged $8 for the bike's round trip, pretty fair compared to the cost of rentals on the island itself, plus I wasted no time in checking a rental in or out. Rode that bike all over the island for the next 4 hours until I was too tired to continue, so rode the ferry back to the mainland. Getting your own bike on and off the ferry was extremely quick & easy, the crew works very fast at this job.

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
7,238 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Bike Rental what will it cost me?

agreed----if you can find a way to bring bikes, do so... you could probably buy a used bike rack off of craigslist for the price of what it will cost you to rent 3 or 4 bikes, or whatever, on the island... if you have a hitch on your vehicle, the bike racks that mount to them are the way to go....

we just were there a coupla weeks ago with our 2 young boys... if your kid(s) ride on there own bikes (ours do), expect the ride to take much longer (around the island) than it normally would, which means at least a half days rental.....

Elk Grove Village...
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Bike Rental what will it cost me?

Renting a bike on the island is expensive, no matter who you rent from. It is probably cheaper to buy a bike rack for your car and bring your own than to rent on the island. That's particularly true if you are staying on the island, in which case it is useful to have a bike available for your whole visit.

8. Re: Best Bike Rental what will it cost me?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2013, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Mackinac Island