We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day on island, How long for the bike riding?

Level Contributor
80 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
One day on island, How long for the bike riding?

We only have one day on the island. I want to bike some of the trails...kids 9, 10, and 12. I guess we cannot bike everything. Any recommendation on route with what to see when on the bike? Where should we start, end up to see, eat.....any help would be great.

Michigan
Level Contributor
60 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day on island, How long for the bike riding?

I would say once around the island would be good. There are lots of little scenic places to park along the way. I like going on the road island the island best because it has better scenery and more wind to keep you cool as you bike than the center trails. The main road/trail through the center has a pretty tough hill near the Grand Hotel, that I refuse to walk up with my bike - I must ride! If you like to feel like you're biking through a woods, then go through the middle, otherwise just stay on the outside loop.

Last time we were at the island, we rented bikes for an hour and circled the island. The, we rested and walked around the shops for an hour. Then, we rented bikes again and did some of the center/inner trails for an hour.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
404 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day on island, How long for the bike riding?

I would recommend the ride around the perimeter as early in the morning as possible. Takes about an hour and is a great way to start the day! In the afternoon, when the downtown crowds are at their worst, take your bikes up the hill (either by the Grand or up the East Bluff) and head to Fort Holmes. If you go to the Fort on your trip, you need to stop at the Post Cemetary. You will see many recognizable names.

Fort Holmes is the highest point on the island, and takes some effort to get up there, but it is totally worth it. The views are amazing! Consider taking a picnic lunch with you.

Then head down the hill and go the other way toward British Landing. It is a fabulous ride all the way down on which you will only peddle a couple of times! The kids would love it! You will go past the airport and come out at British Landing. Stop and skip a few stones, maybe have a snack at the Cannonball Drive-in, then head back toward town. Makes for a wonderful day! My kids are about the same age as yours and that Fort Holmes trek is a must every time we go. Have fun!

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
6,064 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day on island, How long for the bike riding?

For what it's worth if you bike the outer circle and want to hike up to arch rock, the trail is closed. Not sure what the problem is but you can not traverse from arch to road below or vice versa.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,762 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day on island, How long for the bike riding?

Thanks for that, Rono. Any idea how long it will be closed?

5. Re: One day on island, How long for the bike riding?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 September 2012, 18:05
Elk Grove Village...
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day on island, How long for the bike riding?

I agree that M-185, the perimeter road, is the best place to start. It's 8.2 miles, and it's really pretty. How long it takes depends on you. When I rode it with my wife, we went slow, stopped to build cairns, took a bunch of pictures, and had ice cream at the Cannonball Inn. It took us about 1:45 to do the loop. The next day, she read a book outside while I rode it by myself, and I did it in about 30 minutes.

We were there last week, and the trail from the road to Arch Rock looks like it's going to be closed for awhile. It looks like the stairs not in a good state of repair, and there was no evidence of work being done on them.

7. Re: One day on island, How long for the bike riding?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2013, 10:18
Get answers to your questions about Mackinac Island