We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Plan to Mackinac Island

Mason
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Travel Plan to Mackinac Island

I am planning a visit to Mackinac island on Aug 31 to Sep 3. . Its almost 8 hours drive from my place to Mackinac City.

Could you please help find a economical place to stay? All the hotes in Mackinac Island and in Mackinac city is very costly during the long weekend?

Also can you recommend places to see there at Mackinac Island and city or on way from Cincinnati to Mackinac City?

Illinois
Level Contributor
254 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Plan to Mackinac Island

I think you are too late for anything available this weekend. It's the annual Bridge walk which normally bring 35,000-50,000 people to the area.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,290 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Plan to Mackinac Island

I hate to be a pessimist, but trying to book a hotel room for Mackinaw City for this weekend will probably be impossible. ILSkeems is right - the bridge walk is this weekend and when combined with vacationers for the weekend, the city is going to be packed. My advice? Stay in a nearby city, like Cheboygan. It's about a half hour or so from Mackinaw City and will probably be a lot cheaper (and have vacancies).

You'll probably be taking 1-75 in so a stop in Frankenmuth (about 135 miles into MI) would be fun. It's a small German community. It's not a city that needs a whole day. It would be a fun place to stop for lunch or dinner and some light shopping and sightseeing. Good luck!

Edited: 29 August 2012, 19:29
Niles, Michigan
Level Contributor
13 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel Plan to Mackinac Island

I saw that the Cottage Inn on the island was offering some last minute specials for labor day weekend, so don't give up. Search the internet and you might find something. Search Mackinac.com also for specials and just call around.

4. Re: Travel Plan to Mackinac Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 03:18
Get answers to your questions about Mackinac Island