We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a UP trip July 2014

Flemington, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Planning a UP trip July 2014

Would appreciate some help in planning a girl's week away, July 2014. Not interested in taking a bus type tour, but unsure how to proceed. Will be meeting from different cities on the East Coast, so need to know best place to meet, and driving route. (we are all 50ish). Interested in staying 2 nights at the Grand Hotel, but would also like to see Frankenmuth?, Sleeping Bear Park and any other natural sites. Also, if we rent a car, where can it be left for the ferry ride across? Thank you.

United States
Destination Expert
for Copper Harbor
Level Contributor
2,545 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a UP trip July 2014

All the ferry services have parking lots. In looking for a place to meet do you mean like meeting up in Mackinaw City before going to the island?

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a UP trip July 2014

Depends on what airports you all fly into, that will help us, help you. Or are all of you driving? Let us know.

Little Rock
Level Contributor
2,795 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a UP trip July 2014

Browse the mac isle section of the forum for more ideas answers, as several people have asked similar questions several times this Summer.

If you want to see Sleeping Bear too, you might want to fly into GRR or TVC.

You can easily spend 10 - 14 days in sightseeing in N. Mich., so I'd save Frankenmuth for another trip.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g42423-i351-k66442…

Edited: 03 September 2013, 10:28
Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
7,104 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a UP trip July 2014

all fly into GRR or detroit for your meetup... definitely rent a car for the week and drive up the west coast of MI... hit 1 or 2 of the beachtowns on your way up to sleeping bear dunes national park... stay 1 or 2 nites in the area and explore the park and wineries.... proceed up to mack city, via the scenic coastal route... take a ferry out to the island and stay 2 nites.... from there, i strongly recommend heading west, along the lake superior shoreline, and visiting pictured rocks national park. along the way, you could also swing by the very scenic tahq falls state park.... plan to spend 1-2 nites (munising and wetmore have lodging)... weather permitting, take the pictured rocks boat tour.... from there, boogie back to GRR or detroit, or possibly check out frankenmuth.... others can weigh in on the frankenmuth thing as i've never been, but from what it sounds like, it seems like a tourist trap....

United States
Destination Expert
for Copper Harbor
Level Contributor
2,545 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a UP trip July 2014

I don't think Janet is coming back...

Flemington, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning a UP trip July 2014

Sorry, don't get on much, but I am back, and do appreciate all your help. Trying to get a bunch of people from different cities to agree to anything is never easy. We would all be flying from different cities, looks like best starting point is either grand rapids or detroit? Where is Pictured Rocks located? Thank you once again!

United States
Destination Expert
for Copper Harbor
Level Contributor
2,545 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning a UP trip July 2014

It's in Munising, which is 3 hours northwest of Mackinaw City.

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning a UP trip July 2014

Depending on the airfares, I would fly into TVC; otherwise GRR. I wouldn't go to Frankenmuth, unless you wanted to spend time touring Detroit. It sounds like you'd prefer natural beauty, and Frankenmuth basically has lots of little shops...and you can get that on Mackinaw Island. If you wanted to spend some time on Lake Superior, you could invest your time going to Munising, but I would suggest for your group to spend your time in Traverse City and that area, and other towns along the west coast of Lake Michigan.

Flemington, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning a UP trip July 2014

grand rapids is a non-stop flight for all of us, so we will all be flying there. will split time between mackinac and traverse city. looking forward to our trip, thank you all again.

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
7,104 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning a UP trip July 2014

still strongly recommend making the drive to pictured rocks and *at least* spend 1 nite.... while traverse/SBD are great, and mack island is nice for a nite, IMO, they don't hold a candle to PR in terms of stunning natural beauty...

it would be a shame to collect all these people from all around the east coast, trek up to northern MI and miss out on one of the most underrated national parks in the USA.....

Edited: 12 September 2013, 22:14
Get answers to your questions about Mackinac Island