We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mackinac Island-Most affordable place to stay?

Which Mackinac Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Montrose, Michigan
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Mackinac Island-Most affordable place to stay?

My fiancé and I are planning a small, casual wedding on Mackinac Island and after quite a bit of consideration, we have settled on the first or second week of August. I am aware that this is during the peak season, but I'm wondering if anyone has any tips on the best, most affordable place to stay. We will be staying 2 nights and have family coming in from California, so we could have upward to 15 people looking for accommodations for 1-2 nights. Right now we are looking at Sunset Condominiums, but I'm wondering if we should look at other hotels or B&B's for better pricing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
45 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mackinac Island-Most affordable place to stay?

Sunset will probably be your most affordable place. It is about a 45 min carriage ride from downtown. I have stayed there and it is a beautiful area but needs updating. Stonecliff next door is very nice, but it will be between 200-400 during that time. Mission point resort would probably be able to accommodate your group but still expect to pay over 200. Market street inn is a nice B&B and reasonably priced. Close to Fort and downtown, but not sure if they would have availability for your group. Inn on Mackinac is a nice, quaint hotel with a lot of Mackinac charm. They usually have great rates and nice breakfast included. The last week in August before Labor Day the prices go down a bit. Also where on the island are you planning on getting married? That may narrow down your choices.

Manistique, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Manistique, Curtis
Level Contributor
1,678 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mackinac Island-Most affordable place to stay?

Have you looked at having some of the people stay in Mackinaw City and take the boat over for the day. Might save some money that way.

Little Rock
Level Contributor
2,545 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mackinac Island-Most affordable place to stay?

www.vrbo.com

Lists 1 "appartment", downtown, that rents for $550/night (2 night min.) that supposedly sleeps 10 ... Remember, most places have a cleaning fee

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
45 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mackinac Island-Most affordable place to stay?

Also check out Pontiac Lodge. They have reasonable prices and nice rooms right on Main street.

Midland, MI
Level Contributor
22 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mackinac Island-Most affordable place to stay?

The most affordable place to stay on Mackinac Island is Mackinaw City. Like any island, prices are inflated. Your burgers, drinks and lodging are premium prices.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,559 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mackinac Island-Most affordable place to stay?

When I saw the subject line, jada's reply was my first thought.

When you compare the price of staying at Sunset, you need to figure in the taxi rides. They are about $7 per person, not per trip. Also the time involved waiting for taxis at the peak of the season.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,559 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mackinac Island-Most affordable place to stay?

Actually, I don't think the food and beverage prices are that bad on the Island. The prices are that high or higher at many places which are not Paradise.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
45 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mackinac Island-Most affordable place to stay?

If you can swing it, I recommend staying on the Island. There is nothing like it. The hotel rates in Mackinac City are pretty high during the August and than you have to factor in taking the ferry to the Island each day. That could add up if you are staying 2 nights.

Montrose, Michigan
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Mackinac Island-Most affordable place to stay?

Thank you so much for the suggestions! This should definitely help out!

Montrose, Michigan
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Mackinac Island-Most affordable place to stay?

Sorry! I tried to write more, but it sent too soon! Anyway, we have had to reevaluate, considering the family from California will now not be able to attend, so that should make our wedding group even smaller. We have some family looking into staying off the island as well. My fiancé and I definitely want to stay on the island. We have also decided that we would like to push the wedding date to late September or the first week of October. We think the island will be a little less crowded and we think the fall colors will be beautiful. I'm a little concerned as to what that weather is like at this time because we were considering an outside ceremony, possibly on the west bluff of the island. Anyone out there been to the island at this time?