We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mackinaw Island in mid September ?

Rochester Hills...
Level Contributor
141 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Mackinaw Island in mid September ?

I am thinking of heading to Mackinaw Island for 3-4 days in September, which I know is in the middle of fall.

Is there anyone out there that can tell me what the Island is like during September, with respect to weather, hotels and restraurants being open ? I am looking for some R&R and hoping that the autum weather wich chaning colors might be nice.

Thanks.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,756 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mackinaw Island in mid September ?

Go at the very end of the month for fall colors. You will _probably_ still be before the peak. Last year, it didn;t peak until mid October, but that was later than usual. The Island's color changes a bit behind the UP. the UP. Weather will probably be cool and crisp, but of course there are no weather guarantees.

Most businesses will still be open, but with reduced hours or days of the week.

Swartz Creek
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mackinaw Island in mid September ?

Could be a great time to visit actully... it is still summer on the calendar until sept 23rd.... Could have lovely comfortable days and cool nights.... Im sure the businesses your interested in can tell you their off season rates and hours easily enough... enjoy! more retirees travelling that time of the year, and usually the pressure is less, especially during the week.

CA
Level Contributor
175 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Mackinaw Island in mid September ?

We were there last year in early Oct. and weather was perfect - unusually warm though. No problems with things being open but no crowds either. Off season rates were in effect. There was some color but it was still too early for peak - everyone said color was late though. I doubt you'll get much color mid-Sept. I wouldn't let that stop you. The hiking trails were beautiful with the sun shining through the green leaves. Bike ride around island was very nice - 8 miles and mostly flat. Lots of flowers everywhere.

Newport Bch. CA.
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Mackinaw Island in mid September ?

You will enjoy the island at this time of the year. The first week of October or so might bring more peak color..it is beautiful in October with plenty open!

5. Re: Mackinaw Island in mid September ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 13:16
Get answers to your questions about Mackinac Island