We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mid-October overnight visit without hotel reservations

Lansing, Michigan
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Topic
Mid-October overnight visit without hotel reservations

We are visiting the Island from Thursday, October 9-Friday, October 10, 2014. We'd like to stay on the island at a Bed and Breakfast, and it was recommended to us that we show up without reservations and try to get last-minute deals that afternoon by either calling the Bed and Breakfast or showing up and asking about availability. This makes us nervous, but we are adventurous and love the idea of saving money.

Is this plan likely to work? Does anyone have any experience doing this? Will there be mid-week last-minute availability? And, anyone recommend a Bed and Breakfast (or hotel) that could work with this plan???

chicago
Level Contributor
8,509 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mid-October overnight visit without hotel reservations

bad idea. find a place you like and start following them and see when they post specials and then just book

my favorite budget place is the murray hotel

plus do you want to be thinking all day about where you are staying and carry your bags around all day?

also the grand has many nights for $127 per person

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
405 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mid-October overnight visit without hotel reservations

The 2nd and 3rd weekends in October are pretty much the last weekends many of the shops on the island are open. That 2nd weekend is a popular "girls weekend" to do Christmas shopping. I wouldn't recommend showing up without reservations. You may find yourself disappointed. Not to mention your time would be much better spent exploring the island than rate shopping. If you want to try for a last minute deal, I would call a couple of days ahead of time.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,790 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mid-October overnight visit without hotel reservations

Being on a Thursday does help. Many places wouldn't even let you book on Friday without staying two nights.

But I agree with the cautions already expressed. Those weekends are fairly busy and some of the B&Bs will already have closed for the season.

If worst comes to worst, you can return to the mainland and will find inexpensive rooms in Mackinaw City or St. Ignace.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,845 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mid-October overnight visit without hotel reservations

I prefer traveling without reservations. Traveling in off or shoulder season definitely helps save money and avoid crowds. I have never done Mackinac Island, but have done this in many similar tourist locations with success.

Educate yourself about priceline, hotel tonight, and other last minute booking sites/apps. Hotel Tonight has been a good one for me lately. They open booking for the night around noon. Hotels that have unsold inventory will add their rooms and you can book directly through the app. I've gotten rooms for $40 that were still listed at $100+ on the hotel's own site and traditional booking engines.

Start looking daily after Labor Day when the crowds die down. That will give you an indication of what properties participate in the last minute sites. It will be a gamble, so be prepared to ferry back to St. Ignace or Mackinaw City for the night.

One complication with the island will be your baggage. You will either have to carry it around with you or find somewhere to store it if you don't already have a room booked. You may be able to book before you get on the ferry, but that will depend on how early you plan on heading to the island.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,790 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mid-October overnight visit without hotel reservations

Only three of the hotels on the Island sometimes use Priceline. Priceline (and other booking sites) will offer a bunch of hotels which are not on the Island and someone can accidentally book a hotel far from the Island.

chicago
Level Contributor
8,509 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mid-October overnight visit without hotel reservations

most places on mackinac do not use any of the discount booking sites

you are not going to get any better deal walking in then you would booking a week ahead of time anyways

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
27 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mid-October overnight visit without hotel reservations

Definitely plan ahead or you will likely be disappointed. If you decide to try your luck, there are lockers available at the Shepler dock where you can store your stuff. The Grand has end of the season rates that you may want to consider, too.

8. Re: Mid-October overnight visit without hotel reservations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Mackinac Island