We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bit of a random bike rental question

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
290 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Bit of a random bike rental question

I will be visiting the Island with my mother on May 31st until June 3rd 2015. I am interested in renting a bike to do some exploring of the island but I'm not sure how my mum will cope with this. She will be 66 by then and although she is active and fit, riding a bike isn't something she has done in several decades!

I know tandems are offered and some places have trikes to rent but does anywhere have such a thing as a tandem trike? Or any other kind of 2 seater option? I've had a look on all the rental websites but I wanted to check in case there was an option that wasn't advertised.

I hope this makes sense and thanks for any help you can give!

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
43 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bit of a random bike rental question

Specialty rentals would not be in high demand, so you won't find recumbents or side-by-sides or quadricycles.

You've heard the idiom, "it's like riding a bicycle..." Your mum will do fine!

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,167 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bit of a random bike rental question

Riding a tandem bike is not a simple proposition, even if both adults are good bike riders. It takes shared balance which isn't quick to come by.

The pathway around the perimeter of the island is paved and pretty flat. Give your mum a bit of time to get used to a bike again and see what she can do--she might surprise herself and you by being a pro!

Williamston...
Level Contributor
893 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bit of a random bike rental question

Just borrow a bike over there and have your mum practice and see how she does. You've got plenty of time to get ready. I'm sure she'll pick it right back up in no time.

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
500 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bit of a random bike rental question

My husband and I found it quite entertaining watching the people try to ride the tandem bikes there. As luv said, it is a shared balance thing. Once you are moving it isn't so hard, but most people have a very hard time getting started.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,772 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bit of a random bike rental question

Having ridden the tandem bike around the island a few years ago, and being the person in the back, I have one thought for you. It's a bit like sled dogs pulling the sleigh--unless you are the lead dog, the view hardly ever changes. It is tricky riding a tandem and I was concentrating more on balance and pedaling in unison so I mostly saw my husband's back. Perhaps plan instead to have your mum practice a bit before you come, as suggested above, and then rent two single bikes. You don't have to ride around the entire island; go out a bit and then come back.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,898 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bit of a random bike rental question

My spouse is not very ative and wasn't sure about the bike rental. She did the ride around the Island OK, stopping often at attractions and for a drink at the Cannonball Inn near the middle of the ride.

The interior of the Island is much more challenging.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
290 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bit of a random bike rental question

Thanks all! Definitely won't be trying a tandem! May get mum a trike if available and just take it slow around the island, stop for picnic, etc. Thanks again!

Indiana
Level Contributor
165 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bit of a random bike rental question

Let me start out by saying I was 57 with a bad knee since childhood. I never rode bikes much back then, and hadn't ridden a bike in at least 25 years. I decided to rent a regular 2 wheel bike, I don't know how to shift gears. I made the trip around the outer perimeter in a little over 2 hours. I rested several times and stopped to take pictures along the way. The worst part of the ride for me was my rear end. Sitting on a bike seat was a bit painful, even for my sister who went along. She is thin and I am heavy. We did get the extra thick padded seats which was definitely necessary. I could not have made it on a skinny ten-speed seat. I think your mom will be able to manage with stops along the way. Make sure the bike is fitted to her length of leg. Be sure to travel counterclockwise around the island. That way the last leg of the trip is an easy downhill cruising speed. Have fun.

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
1 post
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bit of a random bike rental question

It's a really nice, easy ride on the flat, paved road around the Island's perimeter...not so easy as you travel roads closer to the center; it gets a bit hilly. There are plenty of places to stop and rest, so I bet Mom will do just fine! Good advice indeed to practice a little now so she doesn't feel overwhelmed when you get there.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
290 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bit of a random bike rental question

Thanks for all the replies. If we do it, it will be a slow one, stopping to explore and would only be the perimeter,I've cycled it many years ago and know it's flat, unlike the inland roads.

Of course, spending time doing this all depends on the rain staying away while we are there (fingers crossed). Thanks again everyone!

Get answers to your questions about Mackinac Island