We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dogs on Mackinac Island

Cleveland, Ohio
1 post
Save Topic
Dogs on Mackinac Island

We are traveling to Mackinac Island for the weekend and will be bringing our pet Bouvier! We have a pet friendly room and the ferry allows dogs. I think he will love all of the trails and walking on the island. I also understand that the fort is dog friendly.

Can anyone give insight as to which (if any) stores are pet friendly? Also, in your opinion, which restaurants would be good choices to dine at? Which restaurants have a patio with tables close to the railing/edge where we could have our dog sitting along side us? I am hoping we wont have to do take-out the whole time we are in Mackinac!

Any input is appreciated! Thank you!!

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,808 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dogs on Mackinac Island

The only place I have heard of is the patio at the Carriage House Restaurant in the Hotel Iroquois. I would call first to confirm that the policy is unchanged.

You might also check the Tourism Bureau at info@mackinacisland.org or 800-454-5227.

Most of the stores are fairly small and have narrow aisles.

Edited: 28 August 2014, 16:08
Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,156 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dogs on Mackinac Island

I use the website dogfriendly.com when we travel to new places with our dogs. Here's the link for Mackinac Island:

dogfriendly.com/server/travel/uscities/guide…

I would not take for granted that the listing is accurate. If a venue changes its policy there's a good chance it isn't updated on the website. It does give you a good starting point for which restaurants might allow a dog and it is just a quick call to confirm what the current policy is.

I can't imagine a dog as big as yours in the shops on the Island. They are small shops that tend to be pretty crowded. I know a lot of shops will let a small dog be carried in (the ones not selling any food items), but you may need to have one of you sitting outside with your large dog.

Also, your dog is going to be around a lot of horses on the Island, particularly if you're planning to take him/her into town regularly. Do you know how he/she will react to them? We had our Boston Terrier with us on the Island a few years ago. He's a very calm dog, but being around that many horses scared him initially. He did calm down, but at first he wanted to bark and run away from the horses. That's not safe for him or the horses so we had to carry him until he calmed down. He actually went on a carriage ride at the end of our visit and wasn't the least bit worried about the horse at that point. Dogs can quickly get used to the horses if they are new to them, but it's something worth noting if your dog hasn't been around a lot of horses.

chicago
Level Contributor
8,591 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dogs on Mackinac Island

Fyi, feed bag and cannonball are not restaurants, they are counters with snacks

Murray does not have a deli or any tables outside

I've never seen a dog at a restaurant here

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,156 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dogs on Mackinac Island

Msmejkal--you would have been surprised to know that we had our little Boston Terrier in a backpack under our table at the Pink Pony a few years ago. No one figured out he was there, though an observant person might have wondered why I was dropping turkey from my sandwich into my backpack.

chicago
Level Contributor
8,591 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dogs on Mackinac Island

My daughter would have sniffed him out and said "look mommy there's a dog in the backpack" lol

United States
Destination Expert
for Copper Harbor
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dogs on Mackinac Island

We regularly take our dog to the island and he loves it. We like to get take out and sit in the field below the fort and people watch. Have fun!

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,156 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dogs on Mackinac Island

That's funny msmejkal. Mine would have too at that age--she's a total dog lover.

The dog actually loved Mackinac Island. That was the trip we learned he loved to ride in my backpack while I'm biking. He and I have put in a lot of miles with his head sticking out of my backpack, enjoying the scenery.

1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Dogs on Mackinac Island

The Gate House restaurant has an outdoor patio with a fence so that your dog can lay in the grass while you are just on the other side of the fence having dinner. It is located just down the hill from the Grand Hotel.

Pa.
Level Contributor
4,810 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dogs on Mackinac Island

LaurenP, where did you stay that was pet friendly, would love tobring our dog with us?

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
44 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dogs on Mackinac Island

Is the Grand Hotel dog-friendly? There's no mention on their website, one way or the other, which usually means they're not dog-friendly.

Is there a kennel on the island where our dogs could stay if we stayed at a dog-unfriendly hotel? My thought is that the dogs would love the island during the day, and then quite contentedly stay at a a nice "dog hotel" in the evening.

Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated. Thanks.