We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mill Creek Campground

Which Mackinaw City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Midwest
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
Mill Creek Campground

Hi, Everyone

Anyone have any good info concerning camping in Mackinaw City and/or Mill Creek Campground? Looks beautful online. How accessible is it to all the surrounding activities? What are the hot spots, shops and restaurants on Mackinaw Island and the Downtown area?

Thanks in advance.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,505 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mill Creek Campground

MIll Creek Campground is about 3.5 miles east of Mackinaw City, not very close to anything except the Historic Mill Creek Park. You will need to drive several miles to visit restaurants or anything else. It is beautiful!

Eau Claire...
Destination Expert
for Copper Harbor
Level Contributor
2,535 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mill Creek Campground

I saw from your next post that Mill Creek is out. You can check info on campgrounds around the country by going to www.rv.net/forums and search in the "campgrounds" section.

We stayed at Mill Creek last summer and we really liked it. We had a water/bridge view site with full hookups. Although the sites are slim it worked out just fine. People were courteous and quiet. There is alot for kids to do and us adults enjoyed hanging out by the fire at night.

We thought it was better than either of the KOAs in that area.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,505 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mill Creek Campground

Have you tried Tee Pee Campground, Lungfruit?

Eau Claire...
Destination Expert
for Copper Harbor
Level Contributor
2,535 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mill Creek Campground

We have not stayed at the Tee Pee but we've seen it and everytime we drive by there it looks jam packed. There were many sites near the road which didn't look very appealing. That's all I can really say about it. Check out rv.net forums under camprgrounds to see if anything is said about it. We'll stay at Mill Creek this summer when we make our annual jaunt to the island.

Michigan
Level Contributor
126 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mill Creek Campground

We stayed at Mill Creek a couple years ago for a weekend. We stayed in the back with just electric hook-up. It was ok. The lots are small but the people next to you understand that, so they don't complain when your kids don't understand the bounderies. The State Park in Mackinaw is about 8 miles out of town. It took about 15-20 min. to get there because of the curvy road.

I would recommend the State Park in St. Ignace. It is right off the highway. It is close to town. We took bikes, the men and kids road to the store for ice cream. We stayed for a week and used the shower rooms. Then we used the bathrooms during the day to save on the holding tanks. Make reservations in the lower part of the park down by the water. This is a map of the park. Just copy and paste in your browser.

midnrreservations.com/campgrounds/searchresu…

I recommend lots 71-76,9,or 30. We have stayed at # 72 which is flat and level with alot of shade and # 45 which is a big lot with a slope (that made the front end of our fifth wheel very high, I put logs between the wheels to feel more secure) and more open. I said I would never stay at # 45 again unless we parked sideways.

Valrico, Florida
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Mill Creek Campground

My family has been staying at Mill Creek Campground for a number of years. It's only a few miles from downtown, but it's far enough away from the hustle and bustle that we can relax there without being in the middle of downtown. Actually they expanded alot of the sites last year, so there are bigger sites for RVs now and they upped the electric, too. It's been really busy on the fourth of July before, but other times we have stayed there when it wasn't a holiday, it wasn't too bad.

They always seem to be upgrading stuff, last year they added Wi-Fi coverage, so I was able to get the laptop online. They even remodeled the shower buildings, which are REALLY nice now. We even got free use of the driving range at their new golf course a few miles away. I would reccommend this place anyday. We'll keep going back, the family that owns/runs the place is really nice and that's number one in my book.

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mill Creek Campground

We have stayed at all of these parks mentioned.

Mill Creek has a lot to do for adults and kids alike, and I highly recommend it. It is a large park, but yes, some of the lots can be narrow. Ours was very oddly shaped, but we squeezed in, and with the trees around us, we felt we had some privacy, actually. As the other posters have stated, it is about 3 miles out, and you'd have to drive into MC to get to anything. Great views of the Bridge from many of the lots, as far as I can recall.

Straits is one of our favorites, also. The other poster gave you excellent advice concerning the park. You'd also have to drive into St. Ignace to get to anything, for the most part. We stay here when we walk the Bridge during Labor Day, something we won't be doing this year, however.

TeePee Campground is a very basic campground, but we always had a good time here. Lots have no privacy at all, and are small, for the most part. The bathrooms are older, (at least the last time we were there), but were always clean. The little beach is OK, with a few pieces of playground equipment for youngsters. Fantastic views of the Bridge from the beach, where they have nightly campfires. I think this place could be a gem if it were fixed up. You could possibly walk into MC from this campground, but still probably would drive...

Wilderness is also a nice park, but it is too far out for us. It is usually quiet. We stayed here once only, and I simply did not like being that far out, concerning the MC area, as we love to walk the streets in the evening (lol), people watching, shopping, getting ice cream, putt-putt etc., so we consider it inconvenient.

Restaurants on MI: The Fort restaurant has the best view. The Village Inn is convenient and basic, good food. Do a search under "Mackinac Island restaurants" and they will list. Shop all of the shops on the island main street, the street behind Main St., and the downtown area of MC.

Michigan
Level Contributor
30 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mill Creek Campground

Mill Creek is by far the best campground and it's only about 2 minutes drive from Mackinaw City.

Michigan
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Mill Creek Campground

Just got back from Mill Creek and found that it was ok. There seemed to be only one bath house, seems strange for such a large campground. The sites were plenty too small, that's why I lean towards state parks, greed seems to get in the way of private campgrounds too often. The views were gorgeous, beach area wasn't as good as it could have been. Would definitely not stay in full hook-ups again as too small and not as pretty as the rest of the campground.The hayride was fun but we didn't know we were supposed to holler at Tom to let him know we wanted off, most campgrounds take you around and then drop you off at the office area, this one you have to tell the driver and he lets you off at your site. The best part was that they really heated the pool as it was unseasonably cool for June and that made the trip worth it.

10. Re: Mill Creek Campground

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 14:21
Get answers to your questions about Mackinaw City