We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to stay and eat in mackinaw city

Which Mackinaw City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Elkhart, Indiana
Level Contributor
8 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to stay and eat in mackinaw city

My husband and I will be staying in Mackinaw City on Memorial weekend for our Anniversary? does anyone know what hotel is the best and were are the good eats at.

Oakland County...
Level Contributor
257 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to stay and eat in mackinaw city

The Dixie Saloon is Mackinaw City is a great place to eat. You can't miss it, it is the two story log cabin on the lake. Great for lunch or dinner.

We usually stay at the Comfort Inn. The prices are reasonable and it's nice to wake up to a room overlooking the lake and the bridge. It's not fancy, but it has a great view.

Word of advice of NOT where to stay... The Grand Hotel.... NOT worth the money at all. Rooms are very small (unless you splurge for a suite) and not all that glamorous (especially if you are overlooking the seasonal workers living quarters in the back of the hotel.)

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,569 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to stay and eat in mackinaw city

Other places worth stopping for meals include Darrow's Family Restaurant for fish, soups and pie; and Scalawags for fish and chips. Mackinaw has a number of good locally owned restaurants, but no place that stands out for fine dining.

I also enjoy Goldie's Cafe, about 6 miles south in Carp Lake. Good simple food, with a great view of Paradise Lake - it is a nice place to have some peace when MC is full of visitors.

Swartz Creek
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to stay and eat in mackinaw city

Those restaurant suggestions are good ones. I would second them. For a motel we always enjoyed this place, just outside (within a mile) of town:

http://www.mackinawcityclearwater.com/

The major chain places looked fine in town too.

Swartz Creek
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to stay and eat in mackinaw city

PS. Also very good places to eat,

'Neath the Birches

The Lighthouse Restaurant

Swartz Creek
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to stay and eat in mackinaw city

PS PS

Best burgers:

Clyde's Big C Drive-in, St. Ignace. (go hungry)

6. Re: Best place to stay and eat in mackinaw city

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11 July 2014, 18:11
Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,569 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place to stay and eat in mackinaw city

Ms Smith, have you tried CLyde's perch sandwich?

Mackinaw City
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place to stay and eat in mackinaw city

As a local of Mackinaw. I can attest to everything that is said here. There is a family who owns most of the town and there only idea of a business is to get as much money out of a family and quickly as possible. They will also get on here and post good comments to boost their ratings.

Now for good places to eat. Best Ribs-Keyhole bar Best Whitefish-Darrows or Audies or Scallawags(Rude owner thou) Best Burger-Clydes Drive Inn (St. Ignace)or Clydes Bar in Carp Lake Fast Food-Save your Money(More expensive then most resturants LOL) Best Pizza-Mickey's Mini Mart (BIGTIME!!!) Best Grinders-Mancinos. Best Family Resturant-Audies

For the rest (I don't recomend) I hope this helped

Michigan
Level Contributor
237 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best place to stay and eat in mackinaw city

I have property in this area so I'm here very frequently and agree with Across54 except I have never had rude service at Scalawags. I'm not sure who suggested Dixie crossings (two story log cabin on main street by Sheplers) but avoid that place. It is filthy, expensive and possibly the worst food in Mackinaw. Some one else mentioned the Grand Hotel, That's on Mackinaw Island not in Mackinaw city.

The best hotels in Mackinaw city are the Holiday Inn or the Baymont. If you go to the Holiday Inn be sure to get a premium room on the 4th floor as the rooms are only slightly more but much nicer. They do have some water view rooms but the water is in the distance but still a very nice view of the bridge. Best Restaurants, Darrows across from the Holiday Inn, Audies, Scalawags or neath the Birches just outside of town, Burger King, KFC.

Best Fudge, oh heck I ike it all!

Best Jerky is a small family run shop just down from the holiday Inn by the gas station on the corner. Doesn't look like much from the street but the Jerky is incredibly good.

Enjoy! ;)

Chicago West Burbs
Level Contributor
79 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best place to stay and eat in mackinaw city

I'm glad someone mentioned Clyde's Bar in Carp Lake. We tried it for the first time last year - burgers were GREAT! My friend who lives in Carp Lake likes their pizza. For pasties and great soup - I love Cunninghams. Fine dining? - Lighthouse. Disappointed in Dixie Saloon last 2 times.

BTW: lighthouselover - my friend said Goldies & Motel is for sale. Owner wants to retire.

Get answers to your questions about Mackinaw City