We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fishing in mackinaw city

uk
Level Contributor
15 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
fishing in mackinaw city

Hi we are visiting from the uk at the end of may beginning of june. Firstly what kind of weather should we prepare for? My father is a keen fisherman and would love to do some fishing whilst there - can anyone help with information on either local fishing or charter fishing - it is something I would really like to get sorted for him. Also does anyone have any really good recommendations for a fish restaraunt - we are staying at the clarion.

With many thanks for any information you can provide.

Manistique, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Manistique, Curtis
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: fishing in mackinaw city

Hello Mandy,

Weather - I looked at last years weather from May 28th to June 7th in that area and it looks to me the average High would be around 65° F (18° C) but going to 80° F (27° C) some days. Lows average around 50° F (10° C) but some days were down to 37° F (3° C).

Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,140 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: fishing in mackinaw city

What type of fishing does your father do? If he's into fly fishing at all there are some world class trout streams in the area. It's not really something you can pick up in a couple of days though...if he's not experienced with fly fishing, he might consider renting a small boat with or without a motor and doing some fishing on some of the inland lakes in the area. Burt and Mullett have excellent fishing, Paradise Lake is just about 15 minutes South of Mackinaw City, Douglas Lake has good fishing...etc.

uk
Level Contributor
15 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: fishing in mackinaw city

Hi thanks for that information - my dad is more of an angler or a deep sea fisherman so maybe the fly fishing would not be the ideal thing for him.

Can you pinpoint me in any direction as to where I can contact these places as ideally I would really like to book something from the uk prior to us arriving - it would be a lovely suprise for my dad.

Thank you so much for your response

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: fishing in mackinaw city

Most of the charter fishing is further south in both Lake Michigan and Lake Huron, but you might try Plumber's Helper Charter Service (231) 238-0576, Ruddy Duck Charters (231) 347-3232, Dream Seaker http://www.dreamseaker.com/, and Eastern Upper Peninsula Fishing Charters (251) 504-1046. Ruddy Duck is out of Petoskey, about 35 miles southwest.

If fishing on your own:

Fishing from the breakwater at the mouth of the Cheboygan River, 15 miles east. walleye, smallmouth bass

Renting a pontoon boat at Carp Lake (Paradise Lake) 5 miles south of Mackinaw. Bass, Pike, Walleye, perch, bluegill, sunfish. http://www.northernmichigantravel.com/asr/

Wading off shore on Trails End Bay, Cecil Bay or at Waugoshance Point, to the west of town. Bass, perch.

Fishing from shore near the Edison Power Plant in Sault Ste Marie (50 miles north). rainbow trout

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: fishing in mackinaw city

Fishcam for rainbow trout at the SOO: http://www.lssu.edu/arl/fishcam.php

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
85 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: fishing in mackinaw city

Here is a useful link with fishing charters on the Great Lakes all over Michigan. http://www.micharterboats.com/directory.html

Several years ago we went with Island Charters out of Cedarville, which is in the Eastern Upper Pennisula about an hour fomr Mackinaw. It was very enjoyable and we caught some nice lake trout and walleyes.

As far as resturants, fish is king in Northern Michigan. Almost every resturant serves it in some form. Scaleywags (I've probably spelled that wrong) has the best fried fish. Its located on Central Ave, which is the main downtown street, behind the Kilwins. Darrow's also has very good fried fish. Audie's Chippewa room has good fish, plus other interesting wild game selections. If you're feeling adventurous, Kruger's Fish Market sells whole smoked whitefish and smoked whitefish dip which are northern Michigan specialties.

The Village Inn, which has three locations in St. Ignace, Mackinaw Island and the Pellston airport has a wonderful planked whitefish. The Pellston location also has fried whitefish livers. This probably sounds a little strange, but if you like liver its great.

7. Re: fishing in mackinaw city

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 22:19
Get answers to your questions about Mackinaw City
Recent Conversations