We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2010 Mackinaw Mush sled dog races

Which Mackinaw City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,451 posts
229 reviews
Save Topic
2010 Mackinaw Mush sled dog races

The 21st annual sled dog race in Mackinaw CIty, Michigan will be Saturday and Sunday, February 6 & 7. http://www.mackinawmush.com/index.htm

I bought my airline tickets yesterday, so this year will be my first time attending the event.

MI
Destination Expert
for Ludington
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2010 Mackinaw Mush sled dog races

Are you flying into Pelston? Did you see the article in the USA Today on Monday? It highlighted the airport.

Kansas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,451 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2010 Mackinaw Mush sled dog races

No and no. I will look into the article.

This will be my first time flying back into DTW in several years. It was the only reasonable fare I could find, and the only place within 300 miles of Mackinaw that I can reach by non-stop flight.

Though I think the Pellson airport is very nice, my (and my family's) experiences with flights in and out of Pellston have been epic bad.

Edited: 17 December 2009, 14:01
Kansas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,451 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2010 Mackinaw Mush sled dog races

If anyone else is interested, here is the article: usatoday.com/travel/…

Thanks!

BTW, Pelston has been called the nation's icebox. The last time I flew out of Pellston, the temperature was 16 below. While the temperature 12 miles away in Mackinaw (close to the water) was 2 above.

Marquette, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2010 Mackinaw Mush sled dog races

For anyone interested in sled dogs and dog races the annual UP 200 & Midnight Run week is scheduled in Marquette with races beginning on 2/19.

The UP 200 is an Iditarod qualifier so many of the top mushers in the midwest race. There are ample opportunities to mix with mushers and their dogs.

Racing begins under the lights in downtown Marquette on Friday 2/19 and attracts a huge crowd of supporters.

http://www.up200.org/

Kansas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,451 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2010 Mackinaw Mush sled dog races

Mackinac Mush is canceled because there is not enough snow.

Marquette, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2010 Mackinaw Mush sled dog races

Not a problem in the U.P.

MI
Destination Expert
for Ludington
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2010 Mackinaw Mush sled dog races

Actually St Ignace has very little snow. There is no ice bridge to the Island yet this year. The bay is only 1/2 frozen over with lots of open water. The big pond hockey tournament is questionable this year. We drove west of Rudyard to snow shoe and had plenty of snow.

Edited: 02 February 2010, 13:53
8. Re: 2010 Mackinaw Mush sled dog races

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 August 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Mackinaw City