We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in September

Louisville
Level Contributor
144 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Weather in September

I had a trip planned to visit Northern Michigan. We were leaving on 7/26, but I broke my foot. If we get to go this year, it will have to be mid September, assuming I can get hotel reservations. What is the weather generally like in Northern Michigan in September? Trying to decide whether or not to wait until next year. I was really looking forward to the trip.

Gaylord, Michigan
Level Contributor
983 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in September

Most of the time the weather is wonderful in September. In fact, some years it's warmer then than it is during the summer. I would still come.

Also it's not as crowded in September.

Edited: 09 August 2010, 03:02
Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,703 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in September

You should find some good rates on hotels in mid September.

The weather could be cold, but that could happen any month. It will probably be in the low 70s in the day.

Louisville
Level Contributor
144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in September

The low 70's sounds wonderful. We've been hitting close to 100 in Kentucky.

Bay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
186 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in September

I'd recommend bringing sweatshirts & jackets. It'll usually still be nice during the day, but the breeze off the water can be chilly. And evening temps start to drop a little lower. But it's definitely a beautiful time to visit.

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in September

Totally agree with Light and BayGuy. Good advice on the jackets. I never go anywhere in MI, at anytime, without a jacket in the car. Esp up north....lol. At night it will be chilly, even if the day time temps were warm....

Louisville
Level Contributor
144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather in September

Thanks everyone. I don't mind the cooler temps, actually like them. What about rain? Is September in Michigan usually a dry month?

Manistique, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Manistique, Curtis
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather in September

Hello wanderlo,

If you click on the link below it will take you to Weather Underground for the Mackinaw area the month of September 2009. Scroll down the page and you will see the monthly calendar.

This will give you a general idea of what the weather is like but it does not mean it will be like this this year.

wunderground.com/history/…MonthlyHistory.html

Edited: 09 August 2010, 20:18
Bay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
186 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather in September

You'll get the occasional rainy day or two, but usually not too bad in September. With the temperatures getting more mild (away from the heat of July & August) there's not as many days that turn stormy. If you go later in September you might start to see some color in the trees.

Louisville
Level Contributor
144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather in September

Thanks everyone. September weather in Michigan sounds pretty darn good.

Gaylord, Michigan
Level Contributor
983 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather in September

One of my favorite times of the year.

Get answers to your questions about Mackinaw City