We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming in the Lake

Mackinaw City...
2 posts
Save Topic
Swimming in the Lake

Do people swim in the lake because the water seems dirty and cold, and most of the beaches I've seen are private and belong to the hotels.

I really want to go and swim and enjoy beside the lake, and I've looked on the Internet it says in July max temperature can be 75...And where can I swim, all the beaches seems to be private...

Thank you

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swimming in the Lake

There is a state park about 8 miles west of MC called Wilderness State Park. There is a $10 entry fee if you do not have an annual sticker. There is also a very nice park, not so hot beach, right in MC, where the lighthouse is. But you can still swim there and no the water is not dirty. But yes, it probably will seem cold to you no matter the time of year, unless you are used to swimming in cold water to begin with. There may be other spots but I will let someone else give that info, as they are more knowledgeable about this topic.

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
312 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Swimming in the Lake

The water in the northern great lakes is very clean, but cold. The beaches near Mackinaw City are all rocky, as far as I can recall. I grew up swimming in Lake Michigan, and for me, the Atlantic beaches of the Carolinas or Florida do not compare to my beloved Lake Michigan beaches. I'd rather swim in Lake Michigan, in the vicinity of Ludington, than any ocean beach I've ever visited. But that's just because that's what I'm used to. I like the cool water, the even, regular waves, and the lack of sharks, jelly fish, salt water, etc., that one has to worry about when one swims in the ocean.

Little Rock
Level Contributor
2,805 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swimming in the Lake

Water is beautiful & clean in the Straits area ........ and refreshing (AKA cold to some)

michigan.org/Things-to-Do/…

www.great-lakes.net/conditions/michigan.html

http://glakesonline.nos.noaa.gov/glin.shtml?station_info=9075080+Mackinaw+City,+MI

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,791 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swimming in the Lake

The water is clean, but cold. Children don't seem to mind the temp.

Mackinaw City has two municipal beaches west of town at Trails End and another mile south. My favorite beach in the area is about 15 miles southwest at the Bliss Township Park - really nice and not that crowded, with sand dunes going inland.

Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,153 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swimming in the Lake

Lighthouse Lover's right on, definitely check out Bliss Township Park or Sturgeon Bay Beach...beautiful, sandy Lake Michigan beaches...totally swimmable by even the faint of heart by mid-July. The is the humble opinion of a through and through "Michigan Man" but you'll be hard pressed to find a beach anywhere that compares to a sandy Lake Michigan beach on a beautiful summer day!

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swimming in the Lake

DHC-I like you answer! LOL

I will definitely be checking out Bliss Township Park over Labor Day weekend/week. :)

7. Re: Swimming in the Lake

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 07:19
Get answers to your questions about Mackinaw City