We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Silver lake state park campground with little kids???

Which Mears hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ann Arbor, MI
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Topic
Silver lake state park campground with little kids???

I am planning a camping trip with my extended family including 8 kids ages 2-9. I have reservations at Silver Lake state park but am having second thoughts. Is there enough for the little kids to enjoy even though they wont be participating in 4 wheeling? Is it dangerous with the vehicles around or are they only in a specific area?

Thanks

3 replies to this topic
MI
Destination Expert
for Ludington
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Silver lake state park campground with little kids???

The campground is no where near the dunes, which are on the other side of Silver Lake. Its not anymore dangerous than any other state park. All 4 wheelers and dune buggies have to be driven, towed, or ramped over to the entry of the public dune area. The campground is devided into 2 sections, one on the water and the second across the street. Which side of the road are your reservations? I know that there is some playgound equipment on the beach side in the day use area. Silver Lake is wonderful for swimming with children. Its shallow for a very long way, and is a very gradual slope to deep water. The deep drop off's are on sand dune side, and can be a whole lot of fun but not with little kids! Just an FYI-most of the lots are sandy dirt, dont expect much grass as the sites are all under tree's. It can get crowded, the lots are not spaced far apart. I believe that campers are allowed to park 1 extra vehicle at each campsite so there are a lot of buggies, etc parked at sites. Just use common sense with little ones.

North Muskegon...
Level Contributor
801 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Silver lake state park campground with little kids???

Jellystone park in Silver Lake is great for children of that age.

I find state parks are not geared towards children unless they are like my grandchildren and like to play in the dirt. : (

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
6,656 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Silver lake state park campground with little kids???

not to worry, plenty to do...

silver lake town is tourist town (i didn't wanna use "trap", but that's basically what it is!) with kiddie stuff such as ice cream shops, go karts and the like....

if any of them are boys, they likely would love to watch the 4 wheelers, dune buggies, monster trucks etc revving in the ORV staging parking lot.... we took our 2 young boys there a coupla summers ago and they loved it.... the older kids would also enjoy the mac woods dune rides (younger ones will probably be too small to ride)...

http://www.macwoodsdunerides.com/

also, if you and your kids enjoy hiking, the quiet part of the dunes are beautiful... when you're in the midst of them, you feel like you're on another continent.... also, the beach by the lighthouse is very nice.... a short 20-30 minute drive will get you to ludington, which also has nice beaches, ice cream shops, summer festivals, plus big boat watching....

http://www.ssbadger.com/home.aspx

a word of "caution" tho: since silver lake is an ORV mecca, the town can get very noisy.... so keep that in mind.... also, the state park campground isn't nestled in the woods----t's along the main road, where the loud ORV's drive up and down... for what it's worth, definitely avoid the private campgrounds on the outskirts of town---from my experience, they tend to attract the loud and rowdy crowd.... went there with a buddy years ago and we couldn't sleep all nite due to loud parties, engine revving, music etc....

Reply to: Silver lake state park campground with little kids???
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mears