We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria precautions

Seaford, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
288 reviews
Save Topic
Malaria precautions

We will be staying in the park for a couple of days in July 2009 as part of a trip to other places in Namibia and South Africa where this is not an issue.

I am wondering whether we should take the anti malaria drugs as I am worried about side efeects especially on my partner who is mildly (diet controlled ) type 2 diabetic and we both have high blood pressure being in our 50s and early 60s.

Is July a bad month for mosquitos (I gather the lodge will have nets) what do others think?

Walvis Bay, Namibia
Level Contributor
4 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaria precautions

Christel, you could not choose a better time to visit the Etosha, it is mid-winter and rain is scarce. This means, animals will come to the water-pools to drink and mosquitos are very rarely found in dry season. Do take precaution though, malaria is a killer disease as you may know. If you're not going to use drugs then use repellent, it works! (TABARD)

Enjoy my beautiful country !

Seaford, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaria precautions

Thanks for this- I found the other thread a few pages down later last night and it seems this is quite a debate! The company we go with will have a local repellent they say but we will get another. I have not heard of Tabard we have Jungle formula in Uk but I bet I can ask my sister to get some for us in Cape Town. We are REALLY excited about this trip :)

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,598 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaria precautions

malaria...diabetes....high blood pressure.

Sounds like it might be worth you and your partner getting advice from your GP or a decent travel clinic, where the most appropriate medication for your medical histories can be prescribed.

Seaford, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaria precautions

don't worry Peter we will be doing that anyway- Got a whole load of lovely vaccinations lined up too :)

New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,081 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaria precautions

Try Avon brand 'Skin so Soft Bug Guard'

Nicer on the sking than many Deet based products.

2 weeks in the desert of Damaraland, and using this regularly got me the nickname'No flies on Jim'.

Was very effective on repelling flies, Mopane bees.

And such a sweet smell.....couldn't repell the girls though.!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,081 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Malaria precautions

duhhh....let's try.."Nicer on the skin..."

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,365 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malaria precautions

As well as getting checked out before traveling, do make an attempt to prevent getting bitten in the first place (keep covered up after dusk and wear paler clothing rather than dark). I've not been bothered by mosquitoes in the winter at Etosha, but it better to be safe than sorry if you can afford the pills and don't have any reaction-issues.

It sounds ridiculous, but it can get REALLY cold at night so don't forget your hat, gloves and thermals if you are camping/going on night drives (maybe I'm just a wimp).

I hope you have a great time!

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,233 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Malaria precautions

We are relatively cautious but our agent on the ground in Namibia and the local pharmacist did advise us that prophylaxis were not absolutely necessary for July in Etosha. We decided to go for prevention. However, each to their own . . .

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,233 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Malaria precautions

We are relatively cautious but our agent on the ground in Namibia and the local pharmacist did advise us that prophylaxis were not absolutely necessary for July in Etosha. We decided to go for prevention. However, each to their own . . .

The following document fromt he SA dept of health gives good info on bite prevention and a critique of different meds if you want some bedtime reading!

malaria.org.za/Malaria_Risk/prophylaxis/prev…

England
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Malaria precautions

Hi I visited Namibia this year and went to Etosha and the Northern area where mossies are supposed to be worse, never saw one, all of the lodges we stayed had nets, but even on the ones right on a lake saw no mossies, it was very cold, (cars iced 2 mornings) so maybe we were lucky,we still got well covered in deet and similar disgusting smelling replellants, and covered up well at dawn and dusk. I took with me malporone anti maleria but in the end didnt take them, so saving them for next visit when I may not be so lucky with no mossies!, its up to the individual and how they feel about risking it, so this is my opinion not advice!

Get answers to your questions about Etosha National Park