We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Etosha National Park to Windhoek

Norfolk
Level Contributor
192 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Etosha National Park to Windhoek

Getting conflicting reports on doing this trip in one day. Exiting Von Lindequist Gate east side of Etosha driving down the B1 to Windhoek - 99% major trunk road through the country. Any idea of estimated driving time - I think it is about 491kms just over 300 miles. Wouldn't have any problem doing this in the UK but advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,981 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Etosha National Park to Windhoek

It shouldn't be a problem, except for possible speed traps and tiredness. I've started at the Anderssen Gate, driven across the park and then south to Windhoek in time for an evening flight. I wouldn't recommend that day, as its difficult to pull yourself away from waterholes, but it's feasible.

If you don't need to be in Windhoek, you could always stop somehwere to the north of the city. If you need to finish at the airport, don't forget it is about 50km outside the city, and that returning a hire car always takes longer than you'd want.

Norfolk
Level Contributor
192 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Etosha National Park to Windhoek

Thanks Peter, we are dropping friends off about 40km befor Windhoek and then it is our intention to travel south on our own so would be looking to stop in Windhoek or Reheboth. My husband doesn't have a problem with doing a long drive having gone from the south of France to Calais in one day (with a couple of stops). Our friends seem a bit nervous of us trying to do the game park to Windhoek in one day. Our game park watching would have been done by the time we venture down south.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Etosha National Park to Windhoek

Its an easy enough ride on good tar roads. A couple of towns to slow you down but easy enough. I allow 3 hours from Otjiwarongo so double that is more than enough.

The biggest problem will be boredom on the long straight roads.

Norfolk
Level Contributor
192 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Etosha National Park to Windhoek

Thanks mfuwe - as I thought - will build it in to our trip as a day trip.

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
385 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Etosha National Park to Windhoek

Hi

You can do it but it will require a lot of driving. These are estimated times and distances. The travel time from the Lindequist Gate to Tsumeb is about 1 h, from there to Otavi is 70km, to Otjiwarongo another 120km, and from Otjiwarongo to Windhoek 273km. On average you can reckon driving 100km in one hour. This includes short stops etc.

Werner

Eko Tracks

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,554 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Etosha National Park to Windhoek

Hi

Don't attempt to do this at dusk, otherwise it's a lovely (albeit boring) tarmaced road. As a Brit you'll mourne the lack of potholes!

Do spend a few minutes listening to the ethnic radio stations you can pick up en route if you've not met local villagers during your stay.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Etosha National Park to Windhoek

So using Eko's average of 100kph for the 491 km flossie has worked out is 4.91 hours. It willa ctually be a bit more than that. Allow six as I suggested but still easy enough. Make an early start to avoid too much sunglare. You will be fine and in tme for a nice cold beer before dinner.

UK
12 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Etosha National Park to Windhoek

Hi Everyone,

I am looking to drive from Windhoek to Swakopmund and then from Swakop to Outjo(more specifically Epacha Game lodge) If anyone can give me some idea of drive time between each of these that would be great.

Also I will be driving on my own, are there any dangers i should be aware of as a young woman on my own?

Thanks in advance

Eve

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Etosha National Park to Windhoek

I would allow 6 hours for both legs. Yes it can be done quicker no doubt but 6 hours is a good measure.

Travelling alone should present no problems, just keep your doors locked and do not pick up Hitch hikers. i.e. Do what you would sensibly do at home.

10. Re: Etosha National Park to Windhoek

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2009, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Etosha National Park