We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Etosha Trip

UK (ex RSA)
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Etosha Trip

We have just returned from a visit to Etosha National Park and I thought it would be good to share our experience:

We stayed 2 nights in Namutoni and 2 nights in Okakuejo rest camps. The staff were very efficient and friendly (and certainly not as bad as I had previously read on this site). The accommodation in both camps was excellent and we certainly can not fault the buffet meals we enjoyed in the restaurants.

I had previously read a lot of bad reports about the staff and the general poor conditions of the camps and food, but can happily report that we found everything to be fantastic (and in fact are already planning a return trip) and would advice anyone interested in going there, to go ahead and book without fear of bad press.

Please feel free to contact me for any advice.

Regards

Andre

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Etosha Trip

Thanks. Things have obviously improved at Okauhuejo.

Dp try and visit Halali next time.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,492 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Etosha Trip

Thanks for your post. It has amazed me to read some of the reports. We did Okakuejo and Halali a year ago and it was absolutely sensational facilities and customer service.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Etosha Trip

Me too.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
85 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Etosha Trip

Just returned and have to agree...Etosha was a highlight. Restcamps were in excellent condition and food quality was very good. Plus, can't beat the waterhole at Okaukeujo!!!!! AMAZING!

Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
31 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Etosha Trip

Hi again

Just to ensure my message reaches you,I repeat my request via this page.

To chat about Etosha, hints and tips etc., whats your contact details?

I can't quote my own email address here (rules), but send me a text to: 07502085205. This is a U.K. mobile no.

Thanks

Ulrich

Durham, North...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Etosha Trip

Hi, good to hear you had a nice time in Okaukuejo. Is it possible to hire a guide once you are there to help us navigate the park?

Thanks,

Mehri

Yorkshire, UK
Level Contributor
27 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Etosha Trip

Thats very encouraging - we have 2 nights at each of Okakuejo & Halali in October.

I'd be interested in your views on three points:

-although we are self drive, I wonder whether you and fellow travellers had used and gained benefit from having a guide in the park;

-did the camps routinely cater for vegetarians?

-what is the reasonable time to travel between Namutomi & Halali and Halali and Okakuejo based on not stopping. [May seen strage request but on our first day we will eneter Namutoni around 10 and lingering en route to Halali may not be hugely rewarding in the heat of the day!].

Cheers

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Etosha Trip

Hi Varnpotts.

I always self drive and have never really missed having a spotter/guide but those that have had do enjoy the experience. I may be perverse but I really get a buzz out of 'finding my own'.

Camp Restaurants are buffet so just dont visit the Meat Bar.

It is 75km between Camps. You can do it in two hours and respect the speed limit. However call in at Goas , 2km off the direct route, for a shady Waterhole that is great for ellies in the heat of day.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
85 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Etosha Trip

Can answer a few questions...

1) Guided drives. According to the printout given to us at Okaukeujo (June 2009):

Morning drive 5:45am (with breakfast); $N500 from Okaukuejo and Namutoni and N$450 from Halali.

Afternoon drive 15:00 (drinks only); same prices

Night drive 19:00 (drinks only); Okaukeujo and Namutoni N$600 and Halali $N550.

Minimum of 4 people; age 6-12 half price (no children under 6. Each drive is 3 hours.

Did not do any drives with guides so cannot comment on quality as we saw SOOOOOOOOO many animals without a guide (including 12 lions). Rhinos and elephants at Okaukuejo waterhole were plentiful at dusk/nighttime.

2) Vegetarian options. While we were there dinner was a buffet. Three salad choices, soup, bread, dessert, and grilled meat if you wanted it. Breakfast was cereal, yogurt, eggs, fruit, bacon, etc... again a buffet.

3) Driving time...we stopped many, many times. It is hard not keep going when you come around a corner to see an elephant coming right at you or a herd of 100+ zebra surrounding your car or even the lone giraffe gracefully and peacefully coming out of nowhere... In concrete terms... 75 km Halali to Namutoni and 70 km Halali to Okaukuejo. Speed limit is 60 km.

Side note to another post: Bradt guide was outdated pricewise (but just check internet) but most detailed and inclusive. Maps were GREAT for towns (banks, gas, etc...). We used it all of the time on our trip. Lonely Planet was not as helpful.

Yorkshire, UK
Level Contributor
27 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Etosha Trip

Thanks to all the replies I got too - very useful.

Get answers to your questions about Etosha National Park