We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Etosha rains this year - how will game viewing be Aptil/May?

San Jose, California
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Etosha rains this year - how will game viewing be Aptil/May?

I read in a post last month that the rains are good this year. Is that still the case? We have the opportunity to go on holiday the last week of April and first week of May (timing not flexible) this year. From reading the earlier posts, I can see that the game viewing at this time is affected by how "wet" the ground is and whether the animals are forced to the waterholes. So how do things look? Should we come this April, or rather wait for a drier year?

Also, is it still possible to book rooms at Halawi, Okaukuejo and places in Ongava for that time period, or are they likely to be fully booked by now?

Thanks

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,637 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Etosha rains this year - how will game viewing be Aptil/May?

It is pretty wet at the moment with not much game congregating around the waterholes which is common for February.

You will still see game, just perhaps not at the concentrations that you have in dry season, but that is the same every year.

For people that can only travel in April or May I usually recommend to travel as close to May as possible to give the place a chance to dry out a bit!

Last week of April this year is Easter week, so it is a good idea to book in advance for NWR resorts.

There was still space the other day as I booked some groups for Easter into Etosha, but it is worth noting that even if they say they are full they generally are not as a lot of bookings will be provisional by larger tour operators, so perseverence is the best way to get a booking.

Gemma Dry - Owner - Discover Namibia Safaris

3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Etosha rains this year - how will game viewing be Aptil/May?

Hi Gemma,

Planning a self drive safari in April. Looking for a 4*4 with roof tent. Lots of confusing and mixed reviews on different companies. Is there any that you could recommend?

Many thanks,

Alasdair

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,637 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Etosha rains this year - how will game viewing be Aptil/May?

I use Cabs car hire, Okavango car hire, Caprivi car hire or advanced car hire. All of those are good. I can't comment on the big ones like Avis, Europcar, Hertz etc as i don't use them (they don't give me preferential rates as i am too small) But i have had clients that booked through then independently and had good service.

Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Etosha rains this year - how will game viewing be Aptil/May?

Hi there i am just trying to find the best place to stay around Okeukuejo with my mother and 10yr daughter when we are on a self drive safari in June. Happy for reasonable price lodge or camp ground - any suggestions???

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,637 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Etosha rains this year - how will game viewing be Aptil/May?

Okakuejo has campsite. The cheapest rooms they have are the double rooms from N$650 per person.

If you want to stay outside the park then the nearest to the Anderssons gate are Etosha Village and Etosha Safari Camp which also has a campsite.

Gemma Dry - Owner - Discover Namibia Safaris

Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Etosha rains this year - how will game viewing be Aptil/May?

Thanks for your really quick reply! have you any comments on Onguma Bush camp?

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,637 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Etosha rains this year - how will game viewing be Aptil/May?

Onguma Bush Camp is very nice and good value. Onguma also have a campsite.

It is the by the Eastern side of Etosha which is why I didn't suggest it before as it is nowhere near Okaukuejo.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,446 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Etosha rains this year - how will game viewing be Aptil/May?

To all friends posting I would try not to compromise. Despite what some high end websites tell you it is very difficult to beat Okaukuejo. There are idiots there who talk too much and dont appreciate what they see, put up with them, but the wildlife viewing is incredible. In May last year we saw lion, ellies versus black rhino, jackals, tons of general game. I like the waterhole chalets, no braai though, when you can just nip out and see whats going on. Halali can be very quiet in May but has good waterholes nearby.

The gates open at sunrise, be there ready to explore Etosha.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
345 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Etosha rains this year - how will game viewing be Aptil/May?

I agree. to my mind there is simply no substitute, however much you may pay, for being inside the park at one of the 4 NWR resorts. Well make that 3 as I don't rate Namutoni all that highly.

Great Waterhole action at both Okuahuejo and Halali and the walk to Halali helps work off dinner. Okuahuejo can get noisy as John says with some people just there to party but they soon get bored and go back to the Bar.

Out the gate at snrise and take a look round the area, Olifphantsbad and in the heat of the afternoon Neubrownii to park up and wait for more Ellies (and Lions) to come in for the mudbath and drink. One of the few places where you really will find a White Elephant worth having.

10. Re: Etosha rains this year - how will game viewing be Aptil/May?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 19:17
Get answers to your questions about Etosha National Park