We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fires in Estosha National Park

Norfolk England
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
fires in Estosha National Park

There are fires in Estosha at the moment. does anyone know how bad they are or where they are? Is it worth visiting at present? Any information about them or information as to where I can find out about them would be very helpful.

thanks

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,671 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: fires in Estosha National Park

A very large wildfire occurred in Etosha a few days ago, taking out a large section of the park between Okaukuejo and Halali. The fire was controlled but another occurred on Wednesday which has also been controlled.

As far as the information I have it is only the section to the south between Okaukuejo and Halali that has been affected. And it is just the southern drives around that area (Rhino drive and Eland Drive) where you will see the burn.

No need to avoid Etosha. Although many animals have been caught up in the fire, especially the smaller, slower moving creatures generally their natural instinct is to run the other way if it is at all possible.

Also fires are part of the general cycle of things. After a burn you will get new shoots coming up very quickly, which attracts all the grazers back for the tasty new shoots.

So no...in short, you don't need to avoid Etosha.

Gemma Dry - Owner - Discover Namibia Safaris

sallylondonlondon
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: fires in Estosha National Park

Just back from 3 weeks in Namibia and was at Halali waterhole when the intense fires were burning along the horizon. The swirling strong winds caused the fire to spread incredibly quickly. The land area burnt is beyond comprehension and you will see it wherever you go from Halali to Namutoni. I can't comment on the road back to Okaukuejo

I have to say that the sight is heartbreaking at the moment but the animals are already grazing in the unburned patches and the waterholes are still busy. Wildfires are natural and necessary (although this one was started by man) and, after the first rains, the land will be full of rich grasses. For the moment it is a dramatic sight. No reason to give it a miss at all - just wonder at the power of nature and the resilience of animals!!

Trip report coming soon.

Sally

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: fires in Estosha National Park

Thanks for the feedback ladies. I am not changin my plans as it has happened before and often helps good viewings.

Looking forward to that report Sally.

Norfolk England
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: fires in Estosha National Park

Thank you Gemma for this, it was most helpful

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: fires in Estosha National Park

I am hearing bad news of Large* Mammal fatalities in Etosha due to the fires. Any confirmation?

* Large as in size of mammal rather than numbers.

and where is that report Sally??

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,671 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: fires in Estosha National Park

It does seem that it has been much more destructive than previously thought.

Here is a link to an article in The Namibian this week.

namibian.com.na/news/…

As it says in the article they are not likely to reveal exactly how many rhino for security reasons, but it does seem to maybe be quite a high number which is very sad.

I have guides up there this week, so hopefully can give some feedback in a few days as to how things are looking up there right now.

Gemma Dry - Owner - Discover Namibia Safaris

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: fires in Estosha National Park

Thanks Gemma, (For the help but not the news!)

Sometimes wildlife conservation just cannot win.

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
499 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: fires in Estosha National Park

Just got back and while the devastation was quite large in scope it didn't prevent us from seeing loads of animals at both the waterholes and at the burned areas

Only saw black rhino at the waterholes at night but did see them several times

it didn't surprise us as this was the second year in a row we visited southern Africa in Sept/Oct and fires seem to be pretty common this time of year

A friend of my husband who is a scientist in Kruger said the elephants actually like the charred bits

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: fires in Estosha National Park

Thanks for the update. Re the Ellies diet. Probably akin to us taking Carbon tablets. Ellies KNOW everything worth knowing!

Colorado
Level Contributor
229 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: fires in Estosha National Park

I was just there 3 days ago and saw plenty of wildlife. 4 large male lions, 3 lionesses and several cubs, lots of rhino, elephant and antelope everywhere as always.

There were still several small fires burning as I could see the smoke from afar. I was surprised by the amount of bush burned between Namutoni and Halali. It's reported a 10% of the park has burned. Although it does seem to be only a quick brush fire and the trees didn't appear to be killed thus with the rainy season nearing the environment should rebound quickly.

Jeremy

Managing Director - Wild Safari Africa

author Namibia Other Places Travel Guide

Get answers to your questions about Etosha National Park