We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeking advice on proposed itinerary

Lancashire. England
Level Contributor
160 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Seeking advice on proposed itinerary

Hi - I'm in the early stages of planning a trip in early November to South Africa and Namibia. I'm initially thinking of spending around 6 nights in Kruger (weve been there twice before and love it ) before flying to Namibia where I'm thinking of spending 9 nights as follows :-

Fly into Windhoek, pick up hire car and spend 1 night in Windhoek.

Drive to Sossuvlei area for 2 nights

Drive to Swakopmund for 2 nights

Drive to Etosha for 4 nights (2 at either Dolomite or Okaukuejo and 2 nights at Halali)

Return to Windhoek for flight to Cape Town for 3 nights before flight home.

Weve never been to Namibia before and would welcome any advice on whether the above combination is do-able - driving distances between places seem quite big ? however Ive seen suggested itineraries offering similar combinations but in the reverse order i.e. Etosha followed by Swakopmund and then Sossuvlei before returning to Windhoek. However, having come straight from Kruger I'm keen to break up the 2 'safari' elements of the trip hence my plan to finish at Etosha.

Any thoughts anyone ?

Many thanks

KT55

Mentioned in this post
Namibia
Namibia
Africa
Windhoek
Windhoek
Khomas Region, Namibia
Swakopmund
Swakopmund
Erongo Region, Namibia
Etosha National Park
Etosha National Park
Oshikoto Region, Namibia
Okaukuejo Rest Camp
Okaukuejo Rest Camp
1,719 Reviews
Etosha National Park, Namibia
Halali Resort
Halali Resort
1,046 Reviews
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
Hanau, Germany
Level Contributor
2,433 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seeking advice on proposed itinerary

It makes no difference in which order you drive it, most initeraries I saw did

it the way you plan to do it, not Etosha first.

Dolomite is fantastic but not the best camp for game viewing, the animals are not used to cars and tend to run if they see one, also no waterhole with lights for night viewing, as you're not allowed to walk around in the camp at dark on your own that's understandable, but I loved Dolomite not so many people there.

Okaujejo can be easiely reached from Swakopmund, you have a tar road if

my map is right, this camp has a great waterhole with lights, we saw rhinos

and elefants during our stay, the food wasn't that good, meat ok, veggies cold.

Halali was ok, we had no luck at the waterhole, but were told that a herd of

elefants came by around 10:30 pm, the camp is not as big as Okaujejo, but

the waterhole is further away than in Okaujejo, food was ok.

Mentioned in this post
Etosha National Park
Etosha National Park
Oshikoto Region, Namibia
Swakopmund
Swakopmund
Erongo Region, Namibia
Halali Resort
Halali Resort
1,046 Reviews
Market Bosworth...
Level Contributor
1,742 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seeking advice on proposed itinerary

Depending on what time your flight arrives in Windheok I would miss the night there and fit in another night somewhere more interesting!

9 nights seems really short for such a beautiful country though and the driving distances are long so you would not arrive at any destination till later in the afternoon then even with two nights you will only really have the 1 useable day as you would have to set off again early.

For me unless Cape Town was a real 'must' I'd be tempted to miss that out so with the Windhoek night back you would have 4 more nights to fit in as well. Personally I would miss Kruger out as well ;-)

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Windhoek
Windhoek
Khomas Region, Namibia
Shelly Beach, South...
Level Contributor
258 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seeking advice on proposed itinerary

It is do-able but Swakop to Etosha and Etosha back to Windhoek are long legs. I agree that if you could choose an early flight into Windhoek you could skip the night there and use it maybe between Swakop and Etosha, somewhere in Darmaland. We have just come back from a similar trip in reverse and broke those two legs with a stop over.

Don't leave out Kruger or Cape Town, - Kruger and Etosha are totally different in landscape and wild life experiences and I envy anyone who is fortunate to do them both on a holiday. Cape Town is also an amazing city and your holiday will certainly be full of contrasts by keeping them in your itinerary.

Mentioned in this post
Etosha National Park
Etosha National Park
Oshikoto Region, Namibia
Windhoek
Windhoek
Khomas Region, Namibia
Cape Town
Cape Town
4. Re: Seeking advice on proposed itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 22:16
Get answers to your questions about Etosha National Park