We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 day guided camping Safari through Etosha help.

Baltimore, Maryland
2 posts
Save Topic
3 day guided camping Safari through Etosha help.

My wife and I are traveling to Namibia in July for her sister's wedding (they are Namibian) and we are looking to take a guided 3 day camping guided Safari through Etosha with a party of about 6 people.

Of course, we want to get the most out of our experience, so I am looking for any recommendations as to which agencies are the best and which ones to stay away from. I have searched the forum, and saw some very good recommendations for people who want to either rent a car or stay outside of Etosha...however, we want to start and end the guided safari in Windhoek and camp inside the park. I have only seen two websites (links are below the paragraph) so far but am looking for something a little cheaper than $400/pp. We do not care about luxurious amenities, but would like to have food included.

etoshanationalpark.co.za/safaris/3-day-etosh… (the rate is at the bottom of the page, but it is confusing...it states, "R 3 950 per person sharing | R 600 single supplement." Can anyone decipher this? I know "R" is for Rand, it's the rest I don't understand.)

namibia-tours-safaris.com/itineraries/etosha… (approx. $400/pp)

I realize that this is very short notice, but any information is appreciated.

Thank you,

D

Namibia
Level Contributor
557 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 day guided camping Safari through Etosha help.

Dear Don,

The tours look to be the same to me, just different agents offering it. One of the best camping safaris offered is from Wild Dog Safaris. They've been in the camping safari business for years and offer a very good 3 days Etosha Safari. Have a look at wilddog-safaris.com/safari_tours/etosha.html The tour departs every Saturday and is also a bit cheaper than the one's you mention. It includes all meals, entrance fees etc.

You can't go wrong with them. I hope it works out for you.

Clive - Owner Suricate Safaris

Stuttgart, Germany
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 day guided camping Safari through Etosha help.

Hi,

'R' should be Rand (South African currency). Both Namibian Dollar and Rand has the same value (ie 1 Rand = 1 Namibian Dollar).

I had been in Etosha twice. Rented a car and stayed in tents inside the park both times. Personally I would recommend renting a car than going for any organised tours as you could drive around on your own inside the park as you wish. Also, in summer you just have to hang around in one of the water holes (there are big water holes near the 3 camping sites) to spot the big 5.

About organised tours, sorry I don't have any experience with them.

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 day guided camping Safari through Etosha help.

Regarding the pricing question. The per person sharing price will be the price you pay if you share a tent. ie if you are 2 people travelling together you will pay R3,950 per person.

If you are a single traveller and don't want to share you will pay R3,950 plus R600 single supplement.

I agree with Clive, you can't go wrong with Wild Dog for this sort of trip.

Gemma Dry - Discover Namibia Safaris

Baltimore, Maryland
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 day guided camping Safari through Etosha help.

Thank you all for these great suggestions and for clearing up what "per person sharing" and "single supplement" is. This has been very helpful.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 day guided camping Safari through Etosha help.

Following from the above comments, when people refer to "camping" in Namibia, does this mean that we should bring our own tent, sleeping bag etc from home (for me, Australia) or buy in Namibia or are there established tents & bedding materials at campsites that we can book.

If the former, what are people's experiences with camping in the wet season Feb-March?

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 day guided camping Safari through Etosha help.

You can hire camping equipped vehicles which generally come with rooftop tents and all your camping equipment. most will provide sleeping bags and bedding as well so you don't need to bring anything along.

There are also outlets in Windhoek where you can hire camping equipment.

Birrwil, Switzerland
Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 day guided camping Safari through Etosha help.

From many years of camping around Namibia, I would not recommend a camping option for the raining months. Yes, the weather is great, but when it rain..it rains. All turn to mud, and your wildlife viewing is not that good, as the animals do not need to come to the waterholes. Would recommend waiting till the begining of winter, or in winter. Best time.

8. Re: 3 day guided camping Safari through Etosha help.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 April 2013, 15:35
9. Re: 3 day guided camping Safari through Etosha help.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2014, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Etosha National Park