We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fuel availablity

Geneva, Switzerland
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Fuel availablity

We will be doing a self drive trip in December 2012.

I have two pleaces I am concerned about having enough fuel, (unfortunatley carrying additional fuel is not an option in th vehicle we have hired):-

We will be driving from Opuwo to Epupa Falls (2 night stay) returning via Opuwo. Is it possible to get fuel in Epupa?

The second place is when we enter Galton Gate and have a 2 night stay at Dolomite Camp before heading to Okaukuajo Camp. I understand there is no fuel at Dolomite Camp - what is my closest refueling option from there?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,230 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fuel availablity

I don't think there is fuel at Epupa but there is at Opuwo.

Nearest fuel at Galton Gate is down at Kamanjab. 80km south.

Literally the nearest fuel to Dolomite is back to there too.

But our Hi-Luxe got over 1200km safe range to full 80L tanks with a big margin for error.

One tank did 800km each time leaving the 2nd 80L as a reserve we rarely used.

Geneva, Switzerland
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Fuel availablity

We will be renting a Terios - not sure of range or tank size but nothing like what you had!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,768 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fuel availablity

I'm not clear why you can't take a spare fuel can - its the norm in Namibia, as far as I know.

Probaly doesn't hold enough fuel to get you to your destination, but if you get stuck you can more easily set fire to a spare tyre and alert passing pilots you need help.

(Only partly joking).. Does your hire company not allow it?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,230 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fuel availablity

Terios Tank holds a measly 50Litres. Expect around 600km range only to DRY tanks.

I don't think I would be passing by many fuel stations. You are right to be concerned.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fuel availablity

I Pulled out my intinerary from march and a map.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Kamanjab is is 95km south (tar roads for 75km and then in park for 37 km) and okaukuejo would be the closest to the east. It is over 150km away as well (all on gravel). May not be an issue if you drive to dolomite and park the car. From there, you can use the camp safari vehicle and limit your vehicle to only about 75km per day. That would mean 262km trip from kamanjab to okaukuejo and then about 225km for 3 days of viewing- totaling about 487 km. 75 km per day is not that much viewing if you day both morning and evening, especially with a return trip to the camp during the middle of the day.

That would be kind of running it closer than I like, but I also had a Hilux and was able to cover 1200km like mfuwe. We filled in kamanjab and not again to halali, including quite a bit of driving out of dolomite (over 150km in a day and half)

I agree with Peter and Mfuwe, see again about taking an extra tank of fuel.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,230 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fuel availablity

We are saying the same thing Stephen.

Galton to Kamanjab is 80km (as the OP is coming in from Opuwo on fumes)

Galton to Dolomite is c.45 which makes 125 +/-.

Dolomite to Okuakuejo is 175.

So a straight run with full tanks from Kamanjab to Okuakuejo is 300km. Not a lot left for side trips without some white knuckles on the last leg.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fuel availablity

Sorry for my math: you are much closer with 125-/+ km. when I actually add 75 and 37 it comes out to 112km, not 95 as I wrote....

I agree that it would make me uncomfortable unless I had kept REALLY accurate records and knew exact km/liter and range in that car in those conditions. Slight delays and detours could by problematic.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,230 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fuel availablity

I have a pathalogical distrust of Fuel gauges, even at home.

Full Tank(s) and zero the trip every time. At 350 MILES I take note, the light comes on at 390. I have 20 miles to find a pump.

In the circumstances of Namibia I do the same. Log each "top off" and do the Maths. You soon get a feel for how much you have on board.

The Hi-luxe held 160Litres, 80/80. When the trip read 800km the gauge moved. I still had 800km in but I topped off at the next convenient.pump, not necessarily the very next one if I knew the route but the warning light NEVER came on.

The Terios does, or should, 7L/100km so in theory should go 700km. In practice I would use 10L which indicates 500km. Even then I would be very careful as to where I was. I still remember passing up on fuel at Rundu and sweating the last 25km into Divundo with the warning light on and a feather light Right foot.

So Jen. Don't get too worried but do take care. Fuel stops can be up to 200km apart and when you get there they may not have any!

Edited: 21 July 2012, 15:00
Geneva, Switzerland
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Fuel availablity

Thanks for all the comments and advice. Unfortunatley we may not carry fuel inside the hire vehice and it does not have an exterior carrier.

We will have been in Namibia for 10 days before we tackle this area so hopefully will have a good idea of milage by then.

Last trip we filled up at every oppertunity & never had a problem but then we didn't head as far North.

I will chat to the travel agent again - we will have to watch our milage very carefully!

Mfuwe - agreed we may get there and tanks are dry - we are travelling over peak holiday period in December!

Edited: 22 July 2012, 17:21
Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fuel availablity

Please do not panic.

You will get from Opuwo to Epupa Falls and back if you fill up in Opuwo.

Fill up again in Kamanjab for Dolomite Camp. They will not leave you stranded if you run out of fuel or are running low in Etosha. They can fill you up at Dolomite....just don't use that as an excuse to not plan ahead.

Get answers to your questions about Etosha National Park