We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reservations

Vashon, Washington
Level Contributor
15 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Reservations

Hi everyone!!

We are in the process of making plans for our trip in September and of course we're getting really excited.

Can anyone tell me about the reservation process for Etosha. We have been in contact with them and we did receive a reply. Although they were not specific they don't seem to be able to confirm anything for September.

I thought we were booking in good time but we have been told to "bear with them and I will come back to you should I get any rooms".

I suggested that they tell us when they have availability but I have not heard back.

It's now been about two weeks since we started contacting them - does anyone have any suggestions - perhaps this the normal course of events and we should simply wait and not worry.

We haven't booked our flights so we could change plans but Etosha is one of our main reasons for going to Namibia.

Thanks!!!

Wendy

Mentioned in this post
Namibia
Namibia
Africa
Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,678 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reservations

Depending on when you are travelling in September, and also what camps you want to stay, Etosha is currently very 'full' for September.

A lot of these bookings are either operator block bookings that are provisional, operator allocations or public provisional bookings. These do tend to loosen up closer to the time when the bookings have to be paid or released. NWR do not have a wait listing system. If they have availability a the time you are going, then they will book it.if not then you need to try back later.

I contact them on a daily basis to check on any changes in availability so if you want to make your own bookings then I advise that this is the way to to. I would suggest though that getting an agent to do that is likely to b more effective, especially if you have specific dates and camps you want...and definitely less time consuming.

Gemma Dry -Discover Namibia Safaris

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,276 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reservations

First and foremost- get an agent. They have access you don't and they will save you money. You will pay peak rack rates, they won't. Even if you get a reservation, these camps are notorious for "losing them" if you are a single group rather than through an agent.

I used Gemma from above last year and using her again thus year. She is fabulous! There are others that are very good on this forum as well and could do a good job for you. I usually plan all my vacations myself, but use an agent for Africa to save money, headache, time and have a person on the ground when things go wrong (which they probably will)...:)

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,099 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reservations

Another advantage of using an agent (if you are not convinced)..... I couldn't get into Etosha on any night of my trip, but on Day 3, my agent phoned to say that a cancellation had come up and I could have it. I just had to move from one NWR place (Waterberg), to another, so it should be straightforward,

Hurrah!

But, of course, Etosha had no knowledge of our "booking", and we had no proof, so we asked our agent (Cedarberg, in this case), to phone NWR and sort it out. Problem solved.

You know it makes sense......

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,263 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reservations

Hi,

Although I'm not going in near future but following Gemma's advice here I sent some test e-mails to NWR, a few private lodges and car hire companies. The worst time lag was from NWR needing several reminders (once it took them 4 weeks to get back to me even when I had given precise dates and all other relevant info), followed by some car hire company ( one never got back to me, don't want to name and shame but this one is one of the recommended ones here) but most of the private lodges were prompt and professional.

I haven't got the time to chase NWR and car rentals firms daily from UK and this has totally convinced me that if one wants to stay in NWR properties and have a hassle free car rental then using a local reputable agent is absolutely the way to go forward.

Windhoek, Namibia
Level Contributor
324 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Reservations

you can also stay outside the park if you cannot find place inside, its a busy period and better to book asap.

there is some nice lodge very close to the park entrances.

Edited: 07 April 2013, 14:29
Windhoek, Namibia
Level Contributor
260 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reservations

I would definitely recommend using a local agent, as they deal with NWR on a daily basis they are much more likely to be able to persuade the reservations office to get provisional block bookings released in order to confirm a room for you. And I don't know of anyone who charges more than the advertised rate for NWR properties so it's very unlikely that you would pay any more than you would by going direct.

Charlotte

ATI Holidays

Pretoria
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reservations

Hi, we intend visiting Etosha during the second part of October. We are planning to camp. Is it necessary to make bookings for camping? We do not want to follow a set itenerary. Same question for Waterberg and Sossusvlei please?

Pretoria
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reservations

Hi, we intend visiting Etosha during the second part of October. We are planning to camp. Is it necessary to make bookings for camping? We do not want to follow a set itenerary. Same question for Waterberg and Sossusvlei please?

Windhoek, Namibia
Level Contributor
260 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reservations

Hi, I would recommend pre-booking Etosha & Sesriem as October is very busy, but you should be fine just calling Waterberg the day before you plan to arrive to check that they have space. There are also really lovely campsites at the private Waterberg Wilderness Lodge which I think are nicer (anbd a lot quieter) than the National Park sites.

Charlotte ATI Holidays

Clanwilliam, South...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Reservations

I am leaving for Namibia on Monday (May 6), on a self drive tour to Sossusvlei and Etosha. I've not booked any accommodation in advance, in the belief that this is not a particularly busy period. I'd like to stay at Dolomite and Okaukuejo -- is it possible to book for these camps at the park entrance? Assuming that space is available.

Mentioned in this post
Namibia
Namibia
Africa
Okaukuejo
Okaukuejo
Oshikoto Region, Namibia
Get answers to your questions about Etosha National Park