We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need to book space at campistes in Etosha in November?

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
50 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
need to book space at campistes in Etosha in November?

Once again I need help of TA experts!

I'm gathering information about campings for our SA/Botswana and Namibia trip in late October/November and I'm wondering whether it's necessary to book camping space in Etosha (I was thinking to spend 3 nights in Etosha - one night in each camping) for this period of time. We'll be travelling with 4x4 with rooftents.

Would you advice me to book the campsites? Or maybe in Novmber there's no need to prebook? Or maybe we should just book one night in one of the campisites and then depart early for another campsite? From what I've read if you get to the campsite early it's quite probably you'll find space. Is it true?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: need to book space at campistes in Etosha in November?

For many places that time of year, you would probably be fine. I would not chance it in Etosha. If you know where you want to be, then reserve it now. What is the harm in reserving it? If you already know you want 3 nights, one in Namutoni, one in Halali and one in Okaukuejo, then book it now in my opinion.

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: need to book space at campistes in Etosha in November?

If it is just campsites, and you are not clashing with any school holidays then I would say you would be fine.

To be on the safe side I would book either Okaukuejo or Namutoni for your first night...so at least you know what gate to enter the park at. Then you can ask the reception to call the next camp and see if there is space for you so you can choose to stay put or move on.

Gemma Dry - Discover Namibia Safaris

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
50 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: need to book space at campistes in Etosha in November?

Thank you very much Gemma and Stephen!

As we'll be heading from Botswana through Caprivi Strip, I'm not sure if we don't want an extra day for Caprivi - I've heard a lot of good stuff about this part of Namibia. So I think I'll follow your advice, Gemma and I'll book Namutoni (at least). If we come earlier, we can always spend the first outside the camp and just have an extra night in Etosha...

Kasia.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: need to book space at campistes in Etosha in November?

We're visiting right at the start of November and thought we would be fine, but all the sites are booking up fast. We've had to change our plans slightly now and we're having to stay outside Etosha for our first two nights as there were no chalets left in Halali or Okaukeujo so I would get on to it ASAP. We wanted two nights in Dolomite but that's ful as well! I didn't check camping though. Good luck!

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
50 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: need to book space at campistes in Etosha in November?

Madasfe, thanks for your update. We were lucky enough to follow Gemma's and Stephen's advice and we booked the first night at Namutoni and also in Sesriem - just in case - it also helped us to have some "milestones". It wasn't easy with NWR, but after some long exchange of e-mails and few amendments of invoices my friend managed to confirm the booking by a credit card payment.

I wouldn't have thought that mid-November would be such a busy month...

Good luck and see you somewhere in Namibia :D

6. Re: need to book space at campistes in Etosha in November?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2014, 07:44
Get answers to your questions about Etosha National Park