We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Etosha now.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Etosha now.

Have not visited Etosha for some years and found it incredible.

However recently I have been reading reports how run down the government camps have become and also due to anthrax lots of game stock has depleted.

Does anyone who has visited recently have any thoughts on this?

Our visit is being planned for next September by the way!

David

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,185 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Etosha now.

Welcome home Stephen. Did you have to mention you saw Honey Badgers twice??? Looking forward to the report and pictures soonest. No pressure.

Peggysue. I feel really sorry for you. This sounds like a typical Thompson issue and I wish you luck in resolving it. Such a wicked shame when people do this to their clients.

OK. time to put that right for you. When you are ready to return, kick the glossy brochures into touch.

Get in touch with one or two of the several good to excellent Agents in Namibia. Get them to organise your car, self drive or with driver, for you. And have them book you into Etosha and one or two more places. You may find it is not as 'cheap' as Thompson's mass market product but I bet that it won't be that much different given the savings you can find by going direct and cutting out the middle men.

But one thing will be certain, you will have a decent car, with windows and there will not be half a dozen others in there with you. Just your party. I doubt there will be a Pop top but you actually don't need it. Wind the windows down. Animals look better at that angle and no, they won't jump in at you!

Stephen is back from his second trip and I have six under my belt now. Good luck

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Etosha now.

Great stuff Stephen, how did your brothers react?

You have now thoroughly wetted my appetite for Oct/Nov trip. We will move west to east, Dolomite, Okau, Halali 2 nights each. I am just as bad as you, and so secretly is Mrs J.

Of course we will have been to the KTP and Grootberg before we arrive. I have already sorted out next years safari.

He he

Incidently if anyone gets a chance there are 2 long running threads on South Africa forums, Realities of Lion Petting and Rhino Poaching. Keeping these in readers eyes by adding to them seems a good idea (unless of course you agree with lion petting and rhino poaching!)

Edited: 08 July 2013, 17:10
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Etosha now.

I will try to post a trip report later tonight.

Actually, mfuwe, we saw a honey badger along the road close to Dolomite, another came in to the sitting area at the water hole in Halali, within a few feet of us, two more the next night at a water hole and then a final one the next day along the road close to Anderson gate. 5 honey badgers in 4 days! it was amazing. The last 20 minutes of safari, the last day before we left, we saw a mother cheetah with 4 cubs and then a pangolin up close. I couldn't have asked for a better ending.

John-

my brothers loved it. The kept commenting on how much better it was than they expected. From the scenery, to the animals, to the food, to the accommodations. They were expecting rustic, plain conditions and poor quality food. They were pleasantly surprised!

california
Level Contributor
306 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Etosha now.

A pangolin, that's on my wish list! Where was it?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,185 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Etosha now.

So! Five Honey Badgers and now a Pangolin. What else are you not telling us!! In all seriousness I would call them your just rewards for being so good to your brothers.

John, I just closed a deal this week for Christmas and New year 2014/15. If I snuff it meanwhile I will leave it to you and Stephen in my Will.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Etosha now.

Just leave your address, copy of your will, the document disinheriting your wife and all relatives.......

Paris, France
Level Contributor
43 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Etosha now.

Hello David, we just went to Etosha last weekend and it was our first time. Stayed at Halali and Okakuejo upon recommedation of friends. Halali is by far the best. Do not take all these negative reviews seriously. It all depends on where you have been before. I just wrote a review on Halali. Check it out. We saw 2 lions sleeping under a tree on our way to Halali, several jackals, hundreds of elephants, thousands of antelope, thousands of zebra, hundreds of giraffe. The celebration was when one single white rhino arrived at Halali waterhole and my children were in awe. You will see animals even if you do not go to a waterhole, in this season it is fantastic. Every one was friendly and I am planning to go back for 7 days in Etosha in August.

38. Re: Etosha now.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2014, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Etosha National Park