We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Organised weekend tours in May to Etosha from Windhoek

Glasgow
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Organised weekend tours in May to Etosha from Windhoek

I'm working in Windhoek and wondered if there were any companies that do weekend tours up to Etosha. Thinking specifically of the weekend of 24th/25th May that also has the Monday public holiday.

I can hire a vehicle and do it on y own but would actually prefer to go in an organised group

All advice greatly appreciated

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,132 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Organised weekend tours in May to Etosha from Windhoek

Have a look a Wild Dog Safaris - 3 day Etosha Tour.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Organised weekend tours in May to Etosha from Windhoek

In the end I've booked a hotel in Tsumeb and will drive up in my slightly dodgy old Corolla. Hoping the hotel will have some tours into the park, if not I can stick to the tarmac/scrapped roads.

Will have a look at Wild Dog for later in the year thought!

Thanks

H

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,132 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Organised weekend tours in May to Etosha from Windhoek

Roads in Etosha are quite good. OK for a sedan. I would self drive and stay in the park too. Why limit yourself to a few hours game drive with a tour? Take your own car in and you can move around all day looking at animals. Try for a waterhole chalet in Okaukeujo. Big touristy camp, but terrific waterhole. If you get sick of driving you can just sit at the waterhole and watch the passing parade. Heaven on earth!

Another great tour company is Chameleon Tours. Did a 4 day tour with them to Sossusvlei last year. They were fantastic.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Organised weekend tours in May to Etosha from Windhoek

Have taken your advice - well as best I can.

Will travel up Saturday and stay first night in Tsumeb, should manage a late afternoon drive. I've then managed to get one night at Okaukeujo. So second day (Sunday) can drive through the park to get to the lodge and hopefully take one of their night safari's. Then can have an early morning drive in the park and head back to Windhoek late afternoon on the Monday.

Looking forward to it.

H

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,132 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Organised weekend tours in May to Etosha from Windhoek

Terrific. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Oka waterhole is wonderful - all night long!

When you drive through the park, make sure you stop in to Chudop waterhole (near Namutoni) - had wonderful sightings every time we went there. Also found Nebrowni good.

Enjoy!

6. Re: Organised weekend tours in May to Etosha from Windhoek

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2015, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Etosha National Park