We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Etosha feedback - plan your trip today ...

Somerset West...
Level Contributor
7 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Etosha feedback - plan your trip today ...

We were in Etosha for 6 nights from end June to July 2014. He stayed at Halali for 2 nights and 4 nights at Etosha Village (Taleni) just outside the Andersons gate at Etosha.

The viewing of animals was excellent. Many many plain animals. At the Halali water hole we saw a leopard on both nights as well a rhino and heyna.

Close to the Halai camp at Goas we saw lion in the morning and also at Rietfontein. We also saw cheetah near Rietfontein.

Ombika and Nebrowni was also great water holes. At Ombika we saw lions 3 out of the 4 days when we stayed at Etosha Village. We also saw 2 lioness with 7 cubs the last morning.

Olifantsbad also had some great lion sightings.

We enjoyed the whole of Etosha and can not wait to go back.

Plan your trip today!!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Etosha feedback - plan your trip today ...

We are planning to visit next September for 4 nights, reading your post reinforces this choice, so glad it was worthwhile.

"Lion in the morning......cheetah" - how early in the morning? At Halali waterhole what time did you see leopards there. Re Ombika and Newbrowni water holes what time did you see lions.

We are looking forward to this highlight of the Nam trip so want an idea of the best time for chance of seeing game during our stay.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,919 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Etosha feedback - plan your trip today ...

The rule of a thumb is to get out of the camp as soon as the doors opens, i.e. at sunrise. In Halali (and I assume also in other camps inside Etosha) there is a Book of sightings in the reception area, where visitors are documenting their sightings. Study that book for say last 7 days and then try to be at those places reported in the book. It worked for us.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Etosha feedback - plan your trip today ...

Thanks Xelas

Sunrise is usually good for game viewing as we know from our SA trips, however the eles there seem to be more visible later in the day or so we found but ??.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,919 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Etosha feedback - plan your trip today ...

You are right, ellies were out and about all day long. Not really difficult to make an encounter of two each day. I was mostly referring to big cats and rhinos.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,815 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Etosha feedback - plan your trip today ...

I find the best time for Ellies is around 14.00. Park up at a favourite Waterhole and wait. They will come. They MUST come!

Lugano, Switzerland
Level Contributor
418 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Etosha feedback - plan your trip today ...

Just to say my experience, I was in Etosha (Halali) for 2 days. At the sunrise we went to the closer waterholes but we couldn't see anything... :-/

The best meetings were always at around 14.00 on the road. First day 2 lionesses close Two Palms in the east, second day the leopard close to Okaukuejo Camp. So it is really matter of luck...

If I can give a suggestion, we found some traffic in the area Okaukuejo - Halali. But going far in the east towards and beyond Namutoni we were alone for hours (and we sow the 2 lionesses at less than 1 meter). I suggest also the DikDik Drive because the road is one-way, so really small and you have the feeling to be INSIDE the savana (we were alone also there and we met a big group of elephants almost surrounding our car).

7. Re: Etosha feedback - plan your trip today ...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Etosha National Park