We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luderitz to Fish River Lodge

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Luderitz to Fish River Lodge

Some advice please for travelling in Namibia:

Is travelling in a 2x4 safe to get to Fish River Lodge (Fish River Canyon) from Luderitz? I believe the last 20 Ks are quite challenging being bumpy as gravel roads and also quite narrow in parts

How long does it take to drive from Luderitz to Fish River Lodge?

Are there any roadhouses or restaurants for eating lunch on the way?

Looking fwd to replies, many thanks, Mary

4 replies to this topic
Namibia
Level Contributor
557 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luderitz to Fish River Lodge

The drive from Luderitz to Fish River Lodge is about 4.5 hours. The last 20km are a bit tricky, but depending on what 2x4 vehicle you are driving, it can be done. If it is a vehicle such as a Nissan X-Trail, I don't see a problem as the vehicle has higher ground clearance and if you take it slow it should be fine.

If it is a small 2x4 vehicle it could be a problem, but why don't you contact the lodge directly and see what they say as they know their roads better as they change all the time.

The only place you can eat is at Aus, but that is only 120km away from Luderitz. I would recommend that you leave right after breakfast and then you can have a relaxing lunch at the Fish River Lodge.

Clive - Suricate Safaris Namibia

Kungalv, Sweden
Level Contributor
334 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luderitz to Fish River Lodge

Thats a long drive, you could have lunch at Alte Kalkofen near Keetmanshop, it’s only 2.5km off the B4 and they do a good meal/sandwich/apple pie. Or stay the night like we did, it’s a lovely place.

/Neil

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
266 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luderitz to Fish River Lodge

Hi there I have been to fish river lodge twice, in 2012 (in a Nissan x-trail) and in feb this year (in a Toyota hilux 4x4).

It certainly is possible to drive to fish river lodge in a 2 wheel drive. While there recently there was a corolla and a large bus (a bus not an overland truck) in the carpark. However whether you'd want to do this is an entirely different question certainly not the most comfortable drive!

It is 100km approx from the tar road on dirt/gravel which does get progressively worse and the last 20km is very bumpy/rocky. We had no problems in either car we took down there.

No roadhouses/restaurants nearby to fish river lodge so set off early and arrive for lunch.

London, United...
Level Contributor
86 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luderitz to Fish River Lodge

Hello, I was thinking to do Kolmanskop first thing at 9.30am and then driving to Fish River Lodge...do you think it's too late if I leave Kolmanskop say at noon? Is the lodge in the park or can you access theoretically also after the park gate closes?

Reply to: Luderitz to Fish River Lodge
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Fish River Canyon
More Fish River Canyon Topics