We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thirchy,Thanjavur and....

hyderabad
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Thirchy,Thanjavur and....

I would be travelling to Tirchy on 23rd morning and would be there till 24th afternoon. My train is from Tanjavur on 24th afternoon at 2pm.

As of now I have prepared myself for Srirangam and Brahadeshwara Temple. Can one of you please help me in visiting the best places apart from the above two in the less time that i have.

Thanks in Advance.

Brihadeeshwara Temple
Architectural Buildings, Sacred & Religious Sites
Gangaikonda Cholapuram
Architectural Buildings, Sacred & Religious Sites, Monuments & Statues
Swami Malai Temple
Sacred & Religious Sites
Thirunallar Temple
Sacred & Religious Sites
Coimbatore, India
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras), Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, Thekkady
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thirchy,Thanjavur and....

Hi ....

Trichy and Thanjavur are all about temples. Other than these, you may see Kallanai, also called the Grand Anicut (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kallanai_Dam) or Mukambu, again a dam. But, I doubt how interesting this would be for a person from Hyderabad. In Trichy, the temples you can visit are Samayapuram, Thiruvaanaikoil, Srirangam, Rockfort, Vayalur, Vekkaali Amman, Gunaseelam etc. In Thanjavur, you may consider the palace apart from the Big Temple.

Feel free to revert for clarifications.

Regards

Prasanna

Edited: 12 November 2013, 08:49
Mentioned in this post
Hyderabad
Hyderabad
Hyderabad District, India
hyderabad
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thirchy,Thanjavur and....

Thank you Prasanna for the details. Also can you please let me know if i would be able to cover

the below 5 places in a single day. We would be landing at Thirchy by 7:30am.

Srirangam

Kallanai Dam

Thiruvaanaikoil

Vayalur

Vekkaali Amman

We are palnning to leave to Thajavur by night and halt there. Next day can we cover Brahadeswara temple and palace?? Will time be enough to manage both as our train is at 2:30 from Thanjavur.

Can you please suggest better options if i have missed out any.

Thank you once again.

Regards,

Archana

Tiruchirappalli...
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thirchy,Thanjavur and....

The mentioned places will keep you occupied on the said time.

from airport -> refresh in accommodation

vayalor -> vekaali amman -> thiruvanaikoil-> srirangam

next day early morning to kallanai dam and proceed to thanjavur.

Coimbatore, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thirchy,Thanjavur and....

Hi Archana....

It is a one day plan. You can see even more, if you are interested. I would suggest to include Samayapuram also.

The above plan is right. You may do Vayalur - Vekkaaliamman - Thiruvaanaikoil - Srirangam - Samayapuram and call it a day. If time permits, you may also check on the Tirupattur Brahmapureeswarar Temple. You may plan Samayapuram flexibly, as the temple is always open but other temples close by 11.00 or 12.00'o clock.

You may also do Srirangam, Tiruvaanaikoil and Samayapuram in the morning session and plan Vekkaaliamman and Vayalur for the evening. Overnight stay in Trichy would be comfortable, as the choices are more and Tanjore is not very far from here.

If you leave a little early, you may visit Kallanai and reach Tanjore. This would be via Thiruvaiyaru, the place of music saint Thiyagaraja, which you may consider to make a brief halt. When crossing Tiruvaiyaru, don't forget to pick up packets of Ashoka Halwa and Kara Sevs from Andavar Sweets. They are local delicacies and Thiruvaiyaru is known for Ashoka Halwa next to the revered Saint. If you reach Tanjore by 11.00 AM, you should be able to visit Brihadeeswara Temple and Palace in 2 hours, which gives you enough time to board the train and also adjustment time in case of delay. Tanjore is a small town and the station is also small unlike the bigger cities where you need to run to the platforms.

Regards

Prasanna

Edited: 12 November 2013, 12:45
Mentioned in this post
Thiruvaiyaru
Thiruvaiyaru
Thanjavur District, India
hyderabad
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thirchy,Thanjavur and....

Hi Prasanna & VoyageurdeInde ,

Thank you very much for all the info. Can you also please let me know the approx. amount to book a cab for the whole day... and how safe is this option bcoz we are only 2 friends (females) travelling to visit the temples in particular.

Also can you please let me know a good accomodation option in the range of 1000-1500 in tirchy.

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,

Archana

Coimbatore, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thirchy,Thanjavur and....

Hi Archana...

The best option would be Hotel Ajantha, as it is very safe and budget friendly. It is a old time hotel and you will also find taxis inside the compound itself. You may fix the price then and there. You might have to call them and do a reservation, which is advisable. Safety and security should not be a cause for concern, if you book the cab through the hotel and follow the basic traveller intuitions. I need to check on the cost for taxi and I feel an Indica AC would suffice. Will revert back to you once I get the quotes.

Regards

Prasanna

hyderabad
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thirchy,Thanjavur and....

Thank You for all the info. Will let u know the experience once back from trip...

regards,

Archana

hyderabad
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thirchy,Thanjavur and....

Thank You fro all the guidance... i was not able to make it then because of some unexpected personal issues... Finally we visited the place last month...and it was realy wonderful experience... WE have gone to the Dam too and it was a lovely sunset view for us... also the Thanjavur pooja at 8:30 was beyond words... i have bought halwa too..... we stayed at Hotel Susee Park and luckily the cab driver was very kind enough.... and it was all a safe and happy journey... thanku both once again.

Regards,

Archana

Coimbatore, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thirchy,Thanjavur and....

Hi Archana...

Glad to know that you had a good trip. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Regards

Prasanna

Tiruchirappalli...
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thirchy,Thanjavur and....

Glad that you had a good time!!

Keep travelling :)