We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

October good time for trekking?

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
2,232 posts
192 reviews
Save Topic
October good time for trekking?

For trekking in Nepal, like more of the Annapurna treks etc.

Would month of October be a good time to go?

cheers

Cumbria
Level Contributor
4,603 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: October good time for trekking?

Traditionally October is a very good month for trekking weather-wise and is in fact the height of the main season for that very reason – Unfortunately last year the usual settled period of good weather didn’t materialise and that caused havoc on the EBC trek with Lukla airport being closed twice with Huge backlogs of trekkers stuck, often missing their international flights home.

Whether that happens again this year – who knows – Global warming disrupting normal weather patterns ??

Anyway – With a Trek like AC at least you don’t have to rely on flights so you should be OK

Good Luck and Happy Trekking

Rob

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
8,785 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: October good time for trekking?

Hi

October is considered a good time to trek by many, many people because it is the busiest month for trekking (some 20% more arrivals than the next busiest month for visitors - November. The popularity rests on the usually excellent weather; warm during the day but getting a chillier at higher altitudes, low precipitation and low humidity (both of these are as a result of the monsoon ending) leading to clear skies and great visibility.

Having said this, the monsoon has lasted longer than usual; in 2010 there was a lot of rain in the valley until at least 20th October (including a great lightning show). Unsettled weather has also disrupted flights to and from Lukla for extended periods in November.

Of course this popularity means the trails are busy (a few treks are very busy) and some costs are higher (hotels in KTM and Pokhara for example) and lodges that might be full with some people sleeping in the dining room (no hardship in my experience...).

Neither the less settled weather or the number of other trekkers are deal breakers and October remains a very good time to trek. There could be better times; given the choice I would choose March and December.

Others will have a different view which makes TA such a good resource.

scoodly

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,318 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: October good time for trekking?

All of my visits to Nepal have been in October - November - December, and until this year that period has been blessed with almost constant dry conditions, with good visibility. This year, from October 25th to November 10th, in the hills we had almost constant cloud, and rain at times.

Whether this is the new weather pattern, who knows ? Normally October is really good, and consequently popular (as 'scoodly' says). You won't get the trails, or the lodges to yourself then, but you'll invariably find somewhere to sleep.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
171 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: October good time for trekking?

I have always trekked in Nepal in Oct. Everything is superb then. Yes, there are people on the treks ... but, I have never faced problems of finding a lodge to sleep in. Infact, the only lodge I was 'turned away' from due to it being full was the Eco Lodge at Lobuche during my EBC Trek in Oct 2010 ... and, we found alternative acco easily.

cheers,

- manish

Pokhara
Level Contributor
892 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: October good time for trekking?

Hi There OCT is So Called Best Time Of The Year To Trek In The Nepalese Himalaya , But This Was Nt The Fact last Year Due To Thik Fug Plane Were Not Landing & Takeing Off In Lukla Pokhara & Jomsom Etc (1000 Of Trekkers were On Trap ) Now a Days Probably Due To Global Warming Weather Changing Strangely , we Hv Had Best December Month Last Year Since I Knew the All Dec Were Clear Sky , Sunny & Were Better Than OCT/ Nov So It is Hard To Tell Any OCT. Is Mentioned As Best Time Of The Year To Trek !!! Enjoy The Trek if Any Questions Let Me Know Regards Raja .

Edited: 08 January 2012, 04:20
6. Re: October good time for trekking?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2013, 10:22