We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jeep from Kagbeni to Tatopani (avoiding Jomson)?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
16 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Jeep from Kagbeni to Tatopani (avoiding Jomson)?

I have a fairly simple question but I can't seem to find the answer in all of my searches. Is it possible to catch a ride to Tatopani starting in Kagbeni? I would like to stay the night in Kagbeni and then *ideally just get transportation to Tatopani to continue our trek towards Annapurna Base Camp. This way, I could avoid staying in Jomson overnight and just bypass it altogether.

Also, I know this is a bit unpredictable but how difficult is it to get transportation from there (or even Jomson)? I have read travelblogs of people who have had issues with not getting a ride because they were all full of organized trekking groups. Has anyone experienced success with this?

We will be trekking most likely from the end of September to mid-November.

Thanks all!

Elisif

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tibet, Montagna e sport invernali, Milan, Nepal, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Ladakh, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
7,759 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jeep from Kagbeni to Tatopani (avoiding Jomson)?

Elisif, in Jomsom, just in front of the newTibetan Buddhist Gompa there's a big parking full of jeeps. Here you can take the cheapest one easily ;-)

I've never take a jeep to tatopani, so I cannot tell you about the cost or availability of this route. I've arrange for two friends the jeep shared with other travellers from Jomsom to Muktinath, and the costs was around 700 nepali rupees ;-) so you can have an idea of the prices over there.

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jeep from Kagbeni to Tatopani (avoiding Jomson)?

Yeah but you need to change Jeeps along the way. As far as I know there are no direct buses / jeeps from Kagnebni to Tatopani but there are 2 buses from Jomsom to Beni [Tatopani is situated before Beni]. So, either you have to change jeeps to reach Tatopani or you have to stay a night in Jomsom and drive to Tatopani by bus next morning.

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
192 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Jeep from Kagbeni to Tatopani (avoiding Jomson)?

Yes you do need to change jeep from Jomsom, not a direct connection but if you get early to Jomsom and walk for 25 min to catch bus from Jomsom Tatopani as mentioned by Rhythm.

Been in jeep to ghasa ten walked so don't have any experience but seen the buses driving with lots of local people. You should be fine travelling in bus.

Enjoy the trek

Bhuwan

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
16 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jeep from Kagbeni to Tatopani (avoiding Jomson)?

Just to make sure I understand...it is not possible to get a jeep in Kagbeni? We ideally would like to spend the night in Kagbeni and then get transportation onward (towards Beni) the next day making it to Tatopani the same day. Any suggestions on how we would do this? Wake up very early to trek to Jomson in the morning? Get an early morning jeep from Kabeni to Jomson and then get the bus? Do the busses from Jomson to Beni run only in the morning? Or should we play it safe and just stay the night in Jomson?

Thanks for all of your help!

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tibet, Montagna e sport invernali, Milan, Nepal, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Ladakh, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
7,759 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jeep from Kagbeni to Tatopani (avoiding Jomson)?

Dear, In Kagbeni, there is a jeep parking close to the hindu temple down in the street that goes towards the Kali Gandaki river.

These jeeps are used by hindu pilgrims, and you can try there. the thing that I really don't know is if they go direclty down to tatopani or not. For sure they go to Jomsom and then in Jomsom (it's half an hour of trip in jeep) you can arrange the next step to tatopani in the place I've suggested you above.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
16 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jeep from Kagbeni to Tatopani (avoiding Jomson)?

Hi there, thanks for the valuable replies. I thought I would post what we ended up doing in case it helps fellow travelers searching on this forum. A little late but I'm finally getting around to doing a little write-up for a photo-book I'm making. We were able to trek the Annapurna Circuit with a side trip to Tilicho Lake and the Annapurna Base Camp trek with some subsequent R&R in Pokhara from October 23-November 20th, 2012.

In November, 2012 we ended up catching a jeep from Kagbeni to Jomson. At the time you could not buy a ticket in advance and everyone simply gathered at the area by the school before 0900.. It seemed to work out just fine and everyone fit. The jeep trip took about 45min and 350NRs pp. We did pass a bus coming up towards Kagbeni on the way that was hopelessly stuck in one of the river crossings but the jeeps didn't have a problem.

Unfortunately, I can't speak to getting a bus in Jomson because we ended up walking on the opposite side of the river (via Thini) to get to Marpha that day. A very pretty hike that avoided the road...I would definitely recommend it. I am glad that we didn't walk on the actual road for this portion as the winds were something to be reckoned with and the people we did see battling the dust didn't look very pleased. As others have said though, to continue on by bus there would be a change in Jomson because of the lack of road bridge in the town but I got the feeling it would have been do-able to continue on via road transportation that day.

The next day we went from Marpha to Tatopani completely by bus to save us some time in order to do both the AC and ABC. We were able to buy bus tickets the night before for Marpha to Ghasa (850NRs pp...not sure why this was so much more...we just paid what we were told). We were told the bus would leave at 0730 ....we rolled out at 0845. The actual ride only took 2hr. In Ghasa, it was a bit of a rush as all of the trekkers including ourselves tried to buy tickets/squeeze on a bus headed towards Tatopani (they didn't sell tickets ahead of time) 360NRs pp. I got the feeling that it would have been possible to get on no matter what albeit standing room or on top of the bus as it was getting tight! This ride took 1h15min and we arrived at Tatopani by noon.

Hope this is helpful to someone. As always, feel free to private message me with more questions if you'd like.

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,353 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jeep from Kagbeni to Tatopani (avoiding Jomson)?

Thanks Elisif for very useful update

Male
Level Contributor
119 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jeep from Kagbeni to Tatopani (avoiding Jomson)?

Hi Elisif

This is what I have been looking.

Are there any jeep from Marpha travelling down to Larjung or Ghasa? Do you see many jeeps travelling in the reverse direction (from Ghasa / Larjung)?

We plan to walk dwon to Larjung and then jeep back to Jomsom to fly out.

Thanks.

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
192 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Jeep from Kagbeni to Tatopani (avoiding Jomson)?

yes there are buses and jeep services so you will have no problem. The land slides could be a problem at some point on the way to Ghasa from Kalopani.

Enjoy your Trip

bhuwan.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
16 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jeep from Kagbeni to Tatopani (avoiding Jomson)?

Sorry for the delay in my reply, I've been off the grid for a while. Agree with Bhuwan (and will most definitely defer all knowledge to him!). It was very easy to get a bus ticket from Marpha to Ghasa and yes we did pass a bus and a jeep going the opposite way. Best of luck with the road conditions. I hope that everything works in your favor!

Have fun!

Elisif

Get answers to your questions about Annapurna Region