We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Difference between Annapurna Sanctuary and Circuit

London
Level Contributor
1,370 posts
141 reviews
Save Topic
Difference between Annapurna Sanctuary and Circuit

Guys,

What is the difference between these two?

I have been reading but so far no clear answer.

I know that there are a few experts on Annapurna region in this forum who may be able to help me with this.

I have done Gokyo and EBC and this is next in the list.

1. Re: Difference between Annapurna Sanctuary and Circuit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 16:34
Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,330 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Difference between Annapurna Sanctuary and Circuit

Hello again Sid - I told you Nepal was seriously addictive !

The Circuit is just that - a 270 degree walk around the Annapurnas, following the Marsyandi Valley from Besisahar, going up (very gently by Nepalese standards) to Manang, and then, after an acclimatisation day, up to cross the Thorung La (5400 metres) a couple of days later.

Once over the pass it's downhill all the way through Muktinath, down to Jomson, and then down the Kali Gandaki valley.

It can now take anything from 7 to 14 days as there are roads up the valleys, and the possibility of flying out from Jomson. I'm not certain how much these new roads have affected the trekking experience.

The Annapurna Sanctuary trek can be done either as a 10 to 14 day trip from and back to Pokhara, or a a 10 day 'bolt on' to the Circuit, ascending from Tatopani in the Kali Gandaki to Ghorepani, and thence via Chomrong and up to the Sanctuary (Annapurna Base Camp)

Information, and suggested itinerary for the Circuit

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293889-c131173/Nepal…

and for the Sanctuary

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293889-c136157/Nepal…

Kathmandu,Nepal
Level Contributor
473 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Difference between Annapurna Sanctuary and Circuit

Actually, my clients used to say to follow road trail and some time use old trekking trail, its not bad. It is new experience as well. You can follow like tackle trail while you trek down to kali gandaki...

Guide

London
Level Contributor
1,370 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Difference between Annapurna Sanctuary and Circuit

Thank you all for your responses.

Alan,

yes you are absolutely right. Nepal is very addictive.

I have done Gokyo and EBC and I wouldn’t mind doing again.

But realistically I think my next trekking will be in the Annapurna region.

I have been doing research and from what you have said I am beginning to understand the difference between the two. The new road link to Annapurna circuit concerns me a bit, I have a feeling it may have spoiled the trekking enjoyment to some extent.

From stunning scenery and enjoyment point of view which one did you like the best?

Thanks for the links; I need to read them carefully.

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,425 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Difference between Annapurna Sanctuary and Circuit

Annapurna Circuit has options and different views than Annapurna Sanctuary. For me Annapurna Circuit is always better than Annapurna Sanctuary but many people even prefer Annapurna Sanctuary than Annapurna Circuit. On there whole it won't be wrong to say Annapurna Circuit and Annapurna Base Camp; both treks are awesome and both won't disappoint you. If you mind walking on the roads then I guess Annapurna Sanctuary is for you. Annapurna Circuit is almost spoiled by road construction however if you use the road where available and trek where road is not constructed then I am sure that you can complete both treks in about 20 - 22 days, that would be the best option to complete both treks.

ENjoy!

London
Level Contributor
1,370 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Difference between Annapurna Sanctuary and Circuit

Thanks Rhythm D ...

I might consider combining both if it can be done in about 21/22 days.

What is the condition of the new road network?

7. Re: Difference between Annapurna Sanctuary and Circuit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 01:17