We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning multi-country trekking trip - Nepal, Tibet, China?

San Francisco...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Planning multi-country trekking trip - Nepal, Tibet, China?

Any help appreciated.

I'm kind of new to this, planning for a big trekking trip in May 2013.

I would like to do mostly trekking and presumably hit the big stops on the Annapurna loop, including Everest base camp.

I also want to include Tibet and stops at a few monasteries. (China and India border crossing would be a plus!).

I have been told it is easier/cheaper to book packages once you arrive in Kathmandu. I don't mind doing this since I am traveling alone.

I want to do mostly trekking but wanted to ask you guys:

1. Is it possible to see all of these relatively cheaply?

2. Where would you recommend starting? Kathmandu?

3. Do you know any tour company guies with similar packages?

Last but not least, I am trying to do this for as cheap as possible. Don't need fancy hotels, but any package with food would be great. Touring with big groups or buses not necessary.

I have seen some good packages for 10-15 days at about $1,400 for the tour. Expecting $1,400 for plane ticket. Do you think I can do something extraordinary for about $3,500????

Any help appreciated!!

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,355 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning multi-country trekking trip - Nepal, Tibet, China?

Time, methinks, for a slight reality check. If you are thinking of a '10 - 15 day trip' there's no way you can include 'the big stops on the Annapurna loop, including Everest base camp' (as well as India and Tibet !) - not the least because EBC is two hundred miles from the Annapurnas . . . . I suppose you could fly from one to the other by chartered helicopter, but that would rather make a hole in your budget !

Can I suggest that as a starting point you look at some of the itineraries listed under 'top questions' on the Nepal Forum page to see the sort of time investment needed for various treks.

San Francisco...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning multi-country trekking trip - Nepal, Tibet, China?

Thank you! I will take a look, as it will better inform me of my approach. Having not been, I wanted to see what was possible with the packages out there and now I see I must choose one or two destinations very close to each other.

Perhaps I could do a short Indian jaunt and then combine the Annapurna trek.

I can do from 15-25 days. But yes, I want to keep budget tight, least amount of flights and see as much as possible :) Didn't know if anyone else had done a combined country trip. Many tours offer the Tibet and China, but seems not easy to combine from the Annapurna side.

Trying to get the biggest band for my buck here. Perhaps just the Annapurna will be enough, if it can be done cheaply.

kathmandu
Level Contributor
202 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning multi-country trekking trip - Nepal, Tibet, China?

Hello Adam

Yeah agree with alyenti if you have upto 25 days then you can do Annapurna trekking and and explore around india too. As it’s easy to go india then Tibet as you need minimum 4 people of same nationality to go Tibet. You can also book the trip online but better if you visit the trekking company after arriving in Nepal and do the trek. You can start from kathmandu. Here is the itinerary for Annapurna circuit trek. But if you book then they will make all arrangements before your arrival which saves your time.

Day 1: Arrivals in Kathmandu airport receipt and transfer to Hotel O/N Kathmandu.

Day 2: Drive to Syange via Besisahar 7-8 hours and trek to Jagat (1300m) overnight at Lodge.

Day 03 .Trek to Dharapani (1850) 5-6 hours overnight at Lodge.

Day 04 .Trek to Chame (2670m) 5-6 hours overnight at Lodge.

Day 05 .Trek to Pisang (3200m) (5-6 hours) overnight at Lodge.

Day 06 .Trek to Nawal (Ngawal) (3670m) 4-5 hours overnight at Lodge.

Day 07 .Trek to Manang (3540m) (2-3 hours) overnight at Lodge.

Day 08 .Acclimatization day at Manang (Side trip around Manang) overnight at Lodge.

Day 09 .Trek to Yak Kharka (4018m) 4-5 hours overnight at Lodge.

Day 10 .Trek to Thorung Phedi (4450m) 3-4 hours overnight at Lodge

Day 11 .Trek to Muktinath (3800m) via Thorung la passes (5416m) 8-9hours overnight at Lodge.

Day 12 .Explore around Muktinath hindus and Buddhist pilgrims temple side and after lunch trek to Kagbeni (2800m) 2 hours overnight at Lodge.

Day 13 .After breakfast trek to Lupra overnight at Lodge.

Day 14 .After breakfast trek to Jomsom (2720m) 2 -3 hours overnight at Lodge

Day 15 .After breakfast scenic flight to Pokhara and transfer to Hotel Pokhara.

Day 16 .Sightseeing around Pokhara city (Davis fall, Gupteshwar Mahadev cave, Tibetans refugee camp, and late afternoon boating Fewa lake O/N Hotel

Day 17 .After breakfast flight back to Kathmandu and transfer to Hotel Kathmandu.

Day 18. Head towards india from kathmandu .

You can also do annapourna base camp trek.in short period of time and same extra time fro india tour.

Day 01: Arrivals in Kathmandu airport receipt and transfer to Hotel O/N Kathmandu.

Day 02: Drive to Pokhara by private car (5-6 hours) from Kathmandu and transfer to Hotel O/N Hotel.

Day 03: Drive to Nayapul (1 hour by private transport) and trek to Thikhedunga 1480m (4-5 hours) O/N Lodge.

Day 04.Trek to Ghorepani (2860m) (5-6 hours) O/N Lodge.

Day 05 .Early morning walk up to Poon hill then after pristine view back to lodge and have a breakfast then trek to Tadapani (2630m) (6-7 hours) O/N Lodge.

Day 06 .Trek to Chhomrong (2170m) (5-6 hours) O/N Lodge.

Day 07 .Trek to Dovan (2600m) (5-6 hours) O/N Lodge.

Day 08 .Trek to Machhapuchhre base camp (3700m) (4-5 hours) O/N Lodge.

Day 10 .Trek to Annapurna base camp (4130m) (2-3 hours) O/N Lodge.

Day 11 .Trek back to Bambu (2310m) (5-6 hours) O/N Lodge.

Day 12 .Trek back to Jhinudanda (1780m) (4-5 hour) where you can have natural hot spring O/N Lodge.

Day 13 .Trek back to Pothana (1890m) (5-6 hours) O/N Lodge.

Day 14 .Trek to Dhampus and Phedi (2-3 hours) and drive (30 minute) to Pokhara O/N Hotel Pokhara.

Day 15 .Sightseeing around Pokhara city (Davis fall, Gupteshwar Mahadev cave, Tibetans refugee camp, and late afternoon boating Fewa lake O/N Hotel.

Day 17: Departure to india for further trip.

Hope this info will help.

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tibet, Montagna e sport invernali, Milan, Nepal, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Ladakh, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
7,756 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning multi-country trekking trip - Nepal, Tibet, China?

Hallo Adam, I suggest you to read here about the rules to respect to enter in tibet:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294211-c187076/China…

Having only 15/25 days I think you have to cut and reorganise your plans ;-)

Namaste

5. Re: Planning multi-country trekking trip - Nepal, Tibet, China?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2014, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Annapurna Region